Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 differential

lincoln

Corvette
1976 L-48 White
Hello,

I married a Norwegian, she got home sick, and now I live in Norway. It is a country with Nine dollar a gallon gas, and a 48 MPH speed limit. So I was wanting advice about changing my rear end ring and pion. I don't have any idea what ratio is in my 1976, most likely what ever was in from the factory. I was thinking about changing it to a 4.10 or maybe a 4.33. I thought that it would give me a lot more bottom end power, and really light up the tires. I also thought it might give me a little better gas mileage considering the low speed limits.

Thanks for your advice.

You're half right.

It will help you light up the tires.

It will not help you with gas mileage. Although with 45 mph speed limits, it might not matter much. Basically, you might get the same mileage at 45 mph that I get at 65 mph (the 1982 has a 0.7 overdrive in the transmission and a 2.72 rear end).

The larger the gear (4.1, for example) the more power you get to the rear wheels AND lower fuel mileage.

The smaller the gear (2.7, for example) the less power you get to the rear wheels AND higher fuel mileage.

76 w WR 4 spd should have a 336 gear , automatic 308. There could be others installed but those were the normal setups. 4.10 isn't made for your car, a 4.11 is no difference per say. You can get a 411 gear to kit your 3 series posi case but it will suck down gas big time. OD tranny may be a better option.

Two more questions,

One where can I get a ring a pion to fit a 76 corvette, I have looked at Jegs, and Ecklers, didn't find anything.

How hard would this be for a back yard project. I have done it once before but that was 20 years ago, and on a truck.

Lincoln

You'll find all those questions in the post I have up on another site. Full pictorial on doing the job( at least the way I do it) PM me and I'll give you the link or just search the vette forums for my handle and you should find it.
I only use Tom's gears. The catalogs sell Richmonds. Be careful buying parts, they are not all the same. I use the best out there. Again PM me if you have questions.

The 1976 mar76 L-48 had a3.36:1 ratio and in mar76 a L-82 had a 3.70:1 ratio so anything smaller will give you better mileage but for all the work and the cost and the speed your going I would forget it . Pat

I disagree with the gas mileage statements.A lower gear can help gas mileage in city driving situations because you are using less throttle(therefore less gas) to get the car moving.A 4.10 gear would be perfect for a country with a 48 mph speed limit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom