Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 L48 Off eBay

B

bigfish

I bought a sight unseen red 76 L48 w/ttops off ebay. I always wanted a Vette and I just did it. Girlfriend figured they were going to deliver a red Matchbox vette on a flatbed.

Regardless I got the car and is exactly like described. Interior is shot, tranny slips but the body is pretty clean and the engine starts right up and purrs. It has been 15 years since I worked on cars so I am a little rusty.

I pulled off door panels and it seems that red is the original color. Is that a safe assumption? I scratched a few places and could not come up with a different color anywhere.

How do I find out if I have the original engine? Is there a way to find out what the car came with originally?

Any ideas on how to get a new interior (door panels, console and dash) would be appreciated.

I have attached a picture (it is red, not orange).

I am psyched to own a vette finally and get working on it. Seems like I wanted one since High School.

Arthur
Delray Beach, FL

76vette.gif

What the hell, I'll try and answer a few of your questions best I can.

First off, welcome aboard! :D

For original color, it's a safe assumption but not always correct. The last guy who painted it might have done a REALLY good job and painted everything, reaching into the door and covering up whatever paint may have been there. The should be a tag on the driver's side door jamb that has the interior and exterior color code as well as a production date. That should be the true indication.

To find out original engine, the last few numbers have the block code should match your VIN. Several good sites exist on the subject, or you can run a search for it on this site. Tons of great info on it. Don't worry too much about it. Although it's nice to have a perfect numbers matching car a 76 L48 is probably one that could stand a replacement crate engine and have its value go up, not to mention your level of enjoyment :cool

For interior stuff, check out ebay (www.ebaymotors.com) for great deals when you can find them. A favorite vendor of mine is The Last Detail (www.tld-corvette.com). They are the cheapest and for interior and trim stuff, they are usually the best option.

Again, congrats and keep us posted on your progress.

Sly

Since you bought this car sight unseen, what's the rust situation like? Any surprises, particuarly in the area of the pocket where the a-arms attach and the windshield frame and bird cage?

Thanks guys!

The car has been repainted and not but a perfectionist so I doubt that he taped and caught every corner. Painted over the door jam that has the paint colors and car info on it. If he was that good he would have taped that.

Any way, I just got the car Friday. I have not seen it up on blocks yet so I can not tell a few things. I can not see any rust on it from a general inspection. It was still a southern car so that may give a good indication that it is clean ... maybe.

Please do not ask why I just up and bought a Vette on eBay. Seemed like a good idea at the time and it appears that I made out okay ... for now!

Thanks for the source and I will keep you updated.

Arthur

Bigfish - Welcome aboard! Although not sight unseen, I bought mine in about 5 minutes after not even thinking I was going to own another older car...let alone a Vette! When impulses take over..they just take over!

I noticed that on my 76 that the radiator support was all rusted out at the bottom. This caused the radiator to drop down and rub on the bumper supports which are a sharp metal. Take a quick look so that you don't get stranded somehere with a ruptured lower radiator hose. Not the eaiset thing to fix on the side of the road.

I would have to say,like other models, that these things usually have serious brake problems. I tried to go the route of buying new caliper piston rebuild kits but I got smart real soon after and bought 4 new calipers, brake hoses and all the other accessories. My enjoyment and confidence in the car skyrocketed. Up to that point, I never felt quite sure if the car was really going to stop when I hit the brakes.

Hey good luck!

I appreciate the links and the welcome. They are all bookmarked!

Once I get the tranny fixed and the T-tops to stop leaking I am good to go!

Thanks

A

I have used some of the above sites and also E-bay I replaced my whole interior on E-bay the only time I got ripped off was the seats were vynal instead of leather so its all in who the seller is there are several good vendors there, check feedback.

...and the T-tops to stop leaking I am good to go!

Oh come now - leaking T-Tops are a trademark of the C3 world! ;LOL

Eric, yes mine leak too. please tell me it IS possible for them not to leak.

robin

astro tops one piece cut my leaks down to a tolerable level:L
Craig sr

If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you? I bought a 75 convertible on carsonline.com and drove to Wisconsin from Louisiana to drive it home. Only had 39k when I headed home. How did you have it shipped?

Andy

$4K

I definitely rolled the dice but it seems like a fair deal.

A

well, i hope you dont end up with some of the 'problems' i've had. i got mine for $4,500 and i've rebuilt the motor, replaced the interior, replaced everything under the hood, replaced shocks...and other various things...yes, this is minor compared to many fellow CAC'ers but for a daily driver...its a chunk of money.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370592_25.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370592_4.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370592_10.jpg
http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/10/web/370000-370999/370592_12.jpg

^all are before pictures.

and Crause, while you were looking for something on cars-on-line, you could have picked up my dads 62 also. its only been on their website for 2 years..haha

http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=91580

Well everything seems ok for now but this isn't my daily drive.

I am still playing around figuring out what needs to be done.

Thanks,

A

Bigfish - Holy smokes!! I paid $4K for mine and she is roughhhh around the edges...yours looks like a show car compared to mine!! I hear you on rolling the dice...I did have to replace all 4 calipers and adjust somem things here and there...but other than winter..my Vette has been a daily driver for a year and a half now with NO repairs...heck, wish I could say that about my other vehicles!

Slow down big boy ... I said I got what I expected. Didn't say it was a show car.

Tranny and interior are shot. Body has some dings but nothing too bad and the engine runs well.

But for $4K what do you expect.

A

Read thru the posts...

Why do people buy from eBay without seeing the car!?

I understand the $4k deal. But sometimes it's no deal at any price!

When I buy anything. I check it out several different ways. I always get surprises even after checking and re-checking.
I try to buy local, but the vettes up here in Toronto, Canada are disappearing south of the border.

Bill.

Tell me why !

BIGFISH, are you going to repair the th400 tranny? or possibly go with a 700r4?
i am curious, i want something different in my 74, but, want to do the research first.

best to you

robin

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom