Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'77 Speedometer

dk1977

Corvette
1977 White Coupe
I'm looking for repair parts for the speedometer on my '77. The problems are the trip meter doesn't register any mileage (the resets cable works and rolls the trip meter numbers) and during hot weather, the needle will occasionaly begin bouncing around. I replaced the cable and no luck. I have the speedometer apart and there are plastic gears that operate the trip meter. I can only guess they are worn down enough, not allowing tthe trip meter to work. I searched on the net, but found no internal parts for the speedometer. Anyone have any insite / suggestions.

Since you have the speedometer out press the metal barrel down where the trip meter cable attaches to. Doing this engages the spring loaded shaft and gear to the center shaft and gear of the trip meter number spool. If the spring loaded shaft and gear does not spring back and completely disengages from the center shaft gear of the trip meter the trip meter number spool will lock up and will not advance the numbers. If that spring loaded spool is sticky just a drop of light machine oil to the shaft pressing the metal barrel down with your finger tip until it works free so the gear disengages freely when you release pressure of the metal barrel.
The link attached may help with your problem the detailed pictures start about half way down the page of the link. If it is gearing that is worn out I would look for parts off e-bay.
http://www.1-4u-computer-graphics.c...rojects;action=display;num=1150870797;start=0
Brian

Thanks for the info... It looks like the small black idler gear (rivited to the housing, of course) has damaged teeth. After cleaning and oiling it worked until the bad teeth tried to mesh with the other gear. I'll try and find a speedometer shop in the Houston area. Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom