Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 -79 Rear Differential 3.70 gears OJ code

Shawn's 78

Corvette
1978 Beige L48 4sp
WTB 78 -79 Rear Differential 3.70 gears OJ code

Howdy all!
I'm looking for a good usable (bolt in) 78-79 rear differential with 3.70 gears; OJ code.
Anyone have one for sale or a lead on where I can find one?
Thanks
Shawn

I'll take a look at my cores to see. Is there a reason you want a 78-79 diff other then the date coding? They had some issues with those years but they can easily can be corrected.I'm doing a 78 308 diff now in fact.
I do have a nice 78 rear cover.

Gary,
What kind of issues did the 78-79 years have? Wasn't aware of any.
Why those years? 1) I have a 78 and if i'm correct, it would be a direct bolt in as the yoke sizes are the same. 2) without having to rebuild one, my thought was a lower miles 3.70 differential would be a better option than an original 60's comparable for a direct bolt on. 3) there's cost savings for a 3.70 from those years than say one from the earlier years.
That all said, if I can pick up one (original) or have one made, it needs to be within my budget.
Your thoughts?
Shawn

Shawn
The late C3 run had issues with soft side yokes, RG bolts backing out due in part to a switch to flanged head bolts no loctite or lockwashers, snowflake clutches that broke under load, and the diff cover for the spring change.
Finding a good 370 diff may be a challenge as most were beatup in 4 spd cars. Any 65-79 diff will work in your car, there were different issues over the years. The 78-79 housings were pretty good as were the posi cases and spiders.
Now building or buying an exchange is a different story, most are basic builds which are ok. some are better then others,some are pretty cheaply done as well. I would rebuild yours adding all the correct parts for your application but your budget may limit that option as a true HP custom diff is going to cost more then any exchange unit.

I have a ready to bolt in 336 posi. It has new seals and side yokes,no core,you p/u shipping & crate cost. Diff is $500.

That's what I have now. Since the majority of my driving is cruising, I'll take the trade off of a bit higher rpm on the freeway with the 3.70.

Ok it's all I have right now. I can build you one but no 370 or 373 ready to go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom