Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 fuel line gets clogged.

gaC5

Corvette
1978 Silver Ann. 2014 Red Stingray
My 78 fuel line has gotten clogged up twice this year and it won't start. Would running a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it stop it?

My 78 fuel line has gotten clogged up twice this year and it won't start. Would running a bottle of fuel system cleaner through it stop it?

The usual cause of a fuel stoppage is the pleated paper filter in the inlet of the carburetor. And sometimes owners use a piece of fuel hose from the frame to the pump that is way too long and it gets kinked which prevents fuel from flowing thru it. If everything is correct your fuel pump should be able to squirt out 1-1/2 pints of fuel in 30 seconds.

Is part of you fuel line rubber????and if so how old is it??
Perhaps it has collapsed inside of it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How do you know your fuel line has gotten "clogged"? Are you assuming you have a clogged fuel line because it won't start? The chances are something else is causing the no-start.

How do you know your fuel line has gotten "clogged"? Are you assuming you have a clogged fuel line because it won't start? The chances are something else is causing the no-start.

Because my mechanic blew a clog out of the fuel line.

Because my mechanic blew a clog out of the fuel line.

The sock strainer on the fuel pick-up in the tank is just a slip fit and may no longer still be on the end of the line. I would suggest dropping the tank and cleaning it. The sock filter is a inexpensive part and should be replaced while the tank is out.

The sock strainer on the fuel pick-up in the tank is just a slip fit and may no longer still be on the end of the line. I would suggest dropping the tank and cleaning it. The sock filter is a inexpensive part and should be replaced while the tank is out.

Where do you get a sock filter? I've looked in the after market catalogs and haven't seen any.

Sorry, I called it a sock filter, as it just slips over the end of the fuel pick-up line. Corvette Central calls it a "Gas Tank Meter Strainer", part number 362209.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecentral/partsort.pta?catalog=cadefib&partno=362209

If you replace the strainer, you probably will need the gas tank meter gasket also. Corvette Central part number 363164.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecentral/partsort.pta?catalog=cadefib&partno=363164

Any of the Corvette parts dealer should have these parts, I used Corvette Central as an example, so please don't think that they are the only source. For that matter, your local parts house or Chevrolet dealer may have the strainer.

HTH, good luck with your car. Any other questions, just post them here.

Bob

Note: I am not in any way associated with Corvette Central except as a long term customer who has spent enough with them over ther years, I should be a stock holder.

Sorry, I called it a sock filter, as it just slips over the end of the fuel pick-up line. Corvette Central calls it a "Gas Tank Meter Strainer", part number 362209.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecentral/partsort.pta?catalog=cadefib&partno=362209

If you replace the strainer, you probably will need the gas tank meter gasket also. Corvette Central part number 363164.

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecentral/partsort.pta?catalog=cadefib&partno=363164

Any of the Corvette parts dealer should have these parts, I used Corvette Central as an example, so please don't think that they are the only source. For that matter, your local parts house or Chevrolet dealer may have the strainer.

HTH, good luck with your car. Any other questions, just post them here.

Bob

Note: I am not in any way associated with Corvette Central except as a long term customer who has spent enough with them over ther years, I should be a stock holder.

That's good news. I thought I was gonna have to replace the whole gas tank. Thanks for everybodys help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom