Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79-82 courtesy lamp timer

J

Jjim Harriman

my courtesy lamp timer on my 81 burned out. I've had to remove the interior lamps , for they would stay on all the time. Short of paying $60.00 for a new timer, is there something else I can do.

Jim, yes there is something else you can do.....You can sell me your car at a severely discounted price since this light doesn't work !
;stupid
:Twist

Seriously, have you tried your local auto parts retailer instead of your GM dealer ? Have never priced one but this seems high at $60.
The generic brands at a fraction of the cost sometimes work as well as the EOM replacement.
For comparison, I'll call my local auto parts place just to see. Mike J.

UPDATE:
Jim, my local parts place tells me this is a dealer item.You may need to work a day of overtime and pay the $60, unless someone here has a better idea - which is my bet. Mike J.

courtesy lamp timer

Thanks for the info Mike. And NO I don,t want to sell this beauty.The only place I have found to get the part is Eckler,s.

What does it look like and what are the numbers on it. I ask becuase when I parted out my 80 I saved all the relays and such and put them in a box. I may have the part you are looking for. I'll take $10 for it if I have it.

Gary

I had my wife rebuild mine.
my problem was that the courtesy lights wouldn't work.
tom

got'em

I've got them in stock at work...GM# 463498 your cost 40.91 + 5.95 ups shipping. Send me an email if you are interested.

Dave

Are you sure your timer is out of order ?

I had this problem, but I didn't know I could light up the interior with the dashboard dimmer. Did you check that ?

The second thing to do is to remove the timer itself. It is a small orange box behind the glove box, on the right. If lamps don't light any more, the IC is out. Then, if you want to save money, you can short cut 2 wires in order to get minimal function (I don't have the electrical wiring here at the office, but I'll check, and give the color codes).

One of my friends have developped a new replacement IC which has the basic functions plus : light goes on or off gradually, like modern cars (saving bulbs), and if you let the doors open for a long time, it turns them off to save the accumulator. I have it on my 81'Vette. It is really great ! We intend to make more of them if we can find at least some customers. Price would be 45$ plus shipping.

no sir...GM discontinued the timer several years ago.

Delay timer on Ebay

Check Ebay - there's a couple delay timers for sale right now. They claim to be new.

:thumb

Are you sure your timer is out of order ?

I had this problem, but I didn't know I could light up the interior with the dashboard dimmer. Did you check that ?

The second thing to do is to remove the timer itself. It is a small orange box behind the glove box, on the right. If lamps don't light any more, the IC is out. Then, if you want to save money, you can short cut 2 wires in order to get minimal function (I don't have the electrical wiring here at the office, but I'll check, and give the color codes).

One of my friends have developped a new replacement IC which has the basic functions plus : light goes on or off gradually, like modern cars (saving bulbs), and if you let the doors open for a long time, it turns them off to save the accumulator. I have it on my 81'Vette. It is really great ! We intend to make more of them if we can find at least some customers. Price would be 45$ plus shipping.

How can I get one?

Thanks,
Lori

I had the same problem on my 80. If you take the glove box out and take the orange timer apart( pull plugs ) . Jump the white wires (in plugs ) with a jumper wire the lights will go on or off when opening and closing doors. Just will not have the delay before the lights go out. Dave :beer

Let’s not think of the white wires of the courtesy lamp system as a ground, let’s think of them more like a common neutral wire between devices, headlamp switch, door pin switches etc. If you found the timer relay try this. Disconnect it and make a jumper wire of the same gauge as the white wires and connect jumper at the plug connector to the two white wires of the harness. See if lights work normal now, door open lights on, door closed lights off, no time delay.
Brian

Just thought i would add this. It was from an older post. Dave :boogie:boogie

Let’s not think of the white wires of the courtesy lamp system as a ground, let’s think of them more like a common neutral wire between devices, headlamp switch, door pin switches etc. If you found the timer relay try this. Disconnect it and make a jumper wire of the same gauge as the white wires and connect jumper at the plug connector to the two white wires of the harness. See if lights work normal now, door open lights on, door closed lights off, no time delay.
Brian

Just thought i would add this. It was from an older post. Dave :boogie:boogie

Stop looking at the dealership for parts - there are alternatives - have you tried Corvette Central, Corvette America, Ecker's or Mid-America? There are numerious others as well. I found the part you need in 5 seconds by searching the web. Not saying it's the cheapest but the replacement part is out there. Item # 23101 at Eckler's, part # 593149 at Corvette Central (better price then at Eckler's).
On a different note - Eckler's is also now selling the Driver's side power seat switch - up until two years ago you could not find this part any where - but maybe on Ebay for a small fourtune. Eckler's isn't cheap but it's brand new!

thanks bud,you fixed my problem took 20mins and its done. dude you rock!!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom