Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79-82 Tinted Rear Window Insert???

agildawg

Corvette
1981 Black on Black 4 speed
Local forsale ads has an ad for a tinted Lexan insert for 79-82 Corvette rear windows. Ad says it can be removed for cleaning, etc. I'm thinking that this might be a nice way to tint the rear without affecting the rear-window-defrost, but Ive never heard or seen these before. I've got a message in to the guy selling it, but wondered if any of you had any experience with this type of thing or knew what it was.

Thx,
Dawg

I have had one for a few years now . They work quite well although a bit tricky to get in and out . They have one draw back that never bothered me , they look a bit different from a tinted glass because of the small space between the insert and the glass itself . They work just great keeping out the summer sun and heat .

Gila Pop-In. They've been around for a while. I believe they are advertized in Mid-America's most recent catalogue.

:)

I have one as well...usually take it out once year to clean...
not that difficult to do!!!!

I got mine from Mid-America two years ago. As stated above, it is not too difficult to put in or remove for cleaning. I don't drive the car in bad weather or the winter, so I am not sure how or if it would affect the rear defogger.

Please trust me on this.

The insert is Lexan plexiglass and WILL scratch when you clean it.

It can vibrate - if you have louder than stock mufflers.

It can cause distortion.

It does NOT provide any heat reduction. It is simply a tint. Nothing reflects heat. Without this, if we all remember our basic chemistry/physics classes, dark attracts heat.

Spend the, what, $150, with shipping, tax, etc. and just get a good tint job.

I bought one and sold it to another sucker about 2 years later. He hates it and won't talk to me anymore.

The Lexan can be scratched, and it looks terrible. I replaced my rear glass by finding a local glass shop. I paid $75 - the shop cut and installed the glass on my frame.
Jim

Anyone have pics of the insert installed?

thanks, Les

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom