Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Bodywork Issue w/ Pics

Rob79er

Hi,

I'm installing a replacement fender on the pass. side of the '79. The problem is the large gap between edge of the fender where it meets the door edge and the bonding (mating)surface (A-pillar) in the very top corner of the fender. If I were to push down on the fender at that very top corner so that it touched the bonding surface, the edge of the fender where it meets the door is then recessed way below the edge of the door. Not sure is this was just poor factory design or what. I can't imagine having to fill that large of a gap with bonding adhesive. The fender in the pic is not bonded yet - just mocked up. Can I build up that corner with mat and resin?

488Picture_074-med.jpg

488Picture_071-med.jpg

This may help a little, check to see the condition of the body mounts that are under the front clip. Normally when the gap at the top of the door is larger than on the bottom and vise versa, it means the body mounts are collapsed. Another thing about these cars is that no 2 vintage vettes are the same, so that being said, it is gonna take some time and effort to get a fender from another car to fit on yours and look right. I hope this kinda gives you some help, but if you can post some more pictures thatd be great!
zachh

www.myspace.com/zaxsouthern79

Are you guys still not able to see the pics? I can see them in the thread?
I think the site hosting my pics was down yesterday though.

I saw them right from the day he posted them, still see them today; they're linked from photohost.org.

Just make sure the door is hung straight, and the hinges are in good shape, then match the fender to the door and hood.

If you can get those gaps tight, then who cares how much adhesive is needed?

This is a critical spot on the car, so don't cut any corners here. Take your time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom