Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 79 Power Window stopped working

Jos1979

Hi, I'm new to CAC and am happy to see all my fellow "vettes". I was gifted my 79 Corvette from my father-inlaw which currently only has 47,000 miles. It has been sitting for about 20 years and as you may be aware, things are worn out or rusted or just plain dormant. So far i have rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the rims and tires, gas tank and done a tuneup. I changed the battery as the starter selenoid was bad, i replaced that. Yesterday i took it for a drive, the power windows worked fine, however when i brought it back to the house, they wouldn't up, both windows stopped working and have been stuck in the down position for the past couple days. I looked for blown fuses, I turned on and off the car etc. Now before I do anything else, are there any suggestions for me? Don't know if i should replace the motor,remove the console and try to replace the switch, i would like to work smarter and not harder.thanks

Do you have a factory service manual????
It will help you diagnose the problems that arise with our vettes.
1st I would check to see if you have power at the motor in the door, other wise check the switch.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sounds like the relay if both stopped at the same time.
:thumb

Welcome to the forum. I agree that it sounds like the relay which is located in the console.

First i would check the fuse again. It is dark down there and hard to see. Test to see if you have voltage across both sides of the fuse either with a test light or a voltage meter. If you do not have voltage on both sides replace fuse.

If the fuse checks out and the Windows do not work then with the ignition switch on, power one of the power window switches in the up position, and at the same time give the side of the console a good rap with your hand. If it works yea!!! If it works you will still have to replace soon. If it does not it is time to pull the drivers side of the console off and check the relay for voltage. Pull the connector off the relay to see if voltage is getting to the relay. if it does try plugging the harness back in to the relay and and test the window switch. You never know the car has been setting a long time. If the windows are not working it is time replace the relay.

Here is a link to wiring diagrams that will help understand your wiring of the relay.

'68-'82 Corvette Wiring Diagrams - Tumbleweed Transmission

As stated above getting an Assembly manual and original repair manuals will help. They are available from most of the Corvette parts suppliers. Corvette Central, Mid America, or many others.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom