Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 Vette Owners: Look at Your Exhaust and Tell me:

lars

Corvette
64 Black Roadster; 85 Coupe; 09 G8 GT 4-door Vette
I could use some help from anyone who has a stock '79 exhaust system: Could you look at your exhaust and tell me:

1. Is there a hanger located at the rear flange of the catalytic converter that hangs the converter and tailpipe up to the forward side of the frame crossmember? Can you get a camera up in there and shoot a photo of it and e-mail it to me..?

2. Where the tailpipe splits and goes under the differential and rear spring, is the "Y" in the tailpipe perfectly centered under the centerline of the differential, or is the "crotch" of the "Y", as seen from the rear of the car, slightly shifted towards the driver's side?

3. How is the exhaust attached to the support bracket at the tranny tailhousing: Right forward of the hole in the crossmember, the pipe is supported to a steel bracket coming off the rear tranny mount. Is this a simple muffler clamp going around the pipe and the bracket, or is there a special clamp securing the pipe to the bracket?

Any factual info from a stock system would be greatly appreciated!!

Lars
Tuned by Lars Vettes
Denver
V8FastCars@msn.com

I could use some help from anyone who has a stock '79 exhaust system: Could you look at your exhaust and tell me:

1. Is there a hanger located at the rear flange of the catalytic converter that hangs the converter and tailpipe up to the forward side of the frame crossmember? Can you get a camera up in there and shoot a photo of it and e-mail it to me..?

2. Where the tailpipe splits and goes under the differential and rear spring, is the "Y" in the tailpipe perfectly centered under the centerline of the differential, or is the "crotch" of the "Y", as seen from the rear of the car, slightly shifted towards the driver's side?

3. How is the exhaust attached to the support bracket at the tranny tailhousing: Right forward of the hole in the crossmember, the pipe is supported to a steel bracket coming off the rear tranny mount. Is this a simple muffler clamp going around the pipe and the bracket, or is there a special clamp securing the pipe to the bracket?

Lars
Tuned by Lars Vettes
Denver
V8FastCars@msn.com

Would a 78 be sufficient? if so, I'll check tonight as mine is totally original

Questions 1 & 2 will be correctly represented with a '78. I think the tranny mounting bracket is different between 78 and 79, but the pipe attach method could be the same, so I'll take any info you can provide - thanks!!

Lars

I hope these help to answer your questions. Please pardon the grease and rust, just think, it's all original and could be worth some NCRS points or something. LOL!
1.There is only one bracket that I see that hangs the converter from the crossmember and that is on the backside of the crossmember
308.jpg

view of the bracket:
310.jpg

2. The split is off to the passenger side but it runs somewhat parallel before splitting to the left and right just below the diff and looks about as centered as 70's GM quality allows.
292.jpg

3. I really don't see a bracket near the transmission tail. it looks like it just goes straight through the frame rail. There is a exhaust clamp that appears to just hold onto an exhaust shield and in the first pic it looks like part of it does go towards the tranmission but it's pretty flimsy metal and I don't believe it's structural and it's not attached to the frame rail or crossmember(you can see it in the first pic below)
306.jpg

316.jpg

Hope this helps out and if you need better pictures I'll do what I can..

Lars
Tuned by Lars Vettes
Denver
V8FastCars@msn.com

Outstanding work - that's exactly what I needed! Thank you!!

Lars

As a result of your help, I now just need to do some cutting, welding, and whiskey drinking to get this exhaust to fit and look like yours... If you were a real friend, you'd contribute with either some cutting help, welding help, or a bottle of good whiskey.
:beer
Lars

As a result of your help, I now just need to do some cutting, welding, and whiskey drinking to get this exhaust to fit and look like yours... If you were a real friend, you'd contribute with either some cutting help, welding help, or a bottle of good whiskey.
:beer
Lars

And if I was in Denver, I would be happy to assist, especially when it comes to drinking. Have fun!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom