Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

79 vette

K

kmac

I recently saw a '79 silver vette for sale for about $13K. It only has 58K miles. I thought that price was low for the mileage & asked if it was a rebuilt motor, but I was told it was original. I'm not sure whether it had the L48 or L82, but the car had been painted and interior looked to be in very good shape.

Any advice on this model year or things to look for related to L48 or L82? Of course, I'd prefer more horses, but I thought I'd ask the advice of anyone here first.

This does sound a little low. I looked at 79-82 models for a while and the best prices I saw for those in good shape were around $15k. I would check it out really well for body repair, check the frame for any signs of repair or straightening (? is that a word). I basically looked at cars and said 1.) what do i need/want to do 2.) what will it cost - This way I could basically compare 2-3 cars and the cost AFTER restoration. For the record, I eventually bought a 96 LT1 mainly because I decided to buy a daily driver and wanted a car with a little more technologically advanced. Happy Hunting! :w

Prices vary wildly by region. I would have said the price is low if it's a dealer, and high if it's an individual seller. Perhaps that makes it a good buy!

Make sure the engine number matches the VIN (mine does). Some people have been known to stick "L82" emblems on the hood when it's actually and L48! So to check, an L48 has an "8" in the 5th digit of the VIN, the L82 has a "4". Also, the L82 has an auxiliary electric cooling fan mounted to the back of the radiator.

Ultimately, L48 vs. L82 is a matter of personal choice (and a few hundred bucks when buying or selling). The L82 is a more stoutly-built engine. But if you're not in an emissions-testing region, it's pretty easy to add some horses to either engine.

Price is Right

Like it was said in the previous post, the price usually is greatly affected by two things. Location and dealer or non-dealer seller.

I think the price is right in the area if all the origianl car is there and I mean engine parts, bumpers, wheels etc. These are large and expensive parts if you want a original car and need to replace them. Missing parts or items that do not work and have to be replaced or repaired I would consider the cost and subtract it from the asking price in your head.

If it is NOT the original engine and the numbers DO NOT match then I would subtract at lease 2k from the asking price.

This is how I just purchased my '79.

Good luck, a '79 is a great C3 year to have!

Hard to Believe.... BUT TRUE...

I just got back from getting Rare Smogged.. I met a guy there waiting to get his 1978 Anniv. Smogged. We got to talking and he wants to SELL IT...

Sit down.. take a deep breath....

The car is is a 9 on a scale of 10.
24,000 original miles ...ORIGINAL...
L48, automatic,
AM/FM/8-Track
Original "Gator Back Tires" with over 1/2 tread left.
All the rubber (windows) look excellent.

He has owned it for over 10 years, has the window sticker at home and other papers. He said the airconditioning doesn't blow cold air.. THE ONLY thing I see is it has a replacement windshield, body wise the seams are all original, doesn't look like it has ever been hit.. paint and silver anniv. decals are in great shape. He keeps it covered and garaged next to his farm equipment.

I won't tell you what he offered it to me for... I suggested he ask $11,500 to $14,500 he asked if I knew anyone that would be interested???????

HERE YA GO and Prime Silver Anniversary for $11,500..

BudD
:w

It sounds good.

Yes, it sounds good, but one thing to keep in mind with '78s. The Silver Anniversary and Pace Car Edition, there are a lot of replicas or fake want-a-bes out there trying to be sold for the higher price that these special 78s get. Unfortunately some Used Car Dealers have been known to do this.

Need to authenicate these Special Editions, but in your case sounds like the gentleman has all the paperwork to back it up.

Both Special Editions would be super cars to have.

I saw a '78 SA for sale yesterday. Less than 35K miles. It needs some seat covers and a steering wheel -- not surprising in Texas. But it's a clean, original car for $11K!

Theres a lot of vettes in the local paper here. Trouble is when they say x-nt condition you find out thats not the case. I found one here (1979) from the origional owner with 43,000 miles on it. I paid 10,000 for it and Im generaly pleased with it. A true 20 footer , BUT...its too easy to not repair the speedo for any length of time and miles do get accumlated during this time. I figured this out on mine by taking it to the're mechanic and asking for the repair history. Some signs to look for are brake pedal rubber worn down in the corner, worn foam in seats(age will do that too) fresh carpet good luck!

Hmmm...sounds like the guy I called who said that his '77 was the best fixer-upper around. When I got there, I found it hadn't been registered since 1986!!!

I've owned a '79 for over six years. For the engine, when everything is original the L48 has blue (engine colored) valve covers while the L82 has the black/aluminum valve covers with a Corvette emblem (older crossed flags) on the driver's side.

I bought mine in 'good condition' six years ago and now, summing it up, I've installed a new engine, new brakes (including hoses & master cylinder), new rad, all new bushings front & rear, new springs, shocks, u-joints, rear bearings, window stripping, new carpet, seats redone, fixed broken gauges, sprayed all plastic int. parts... Oh, new tires as well...
Did I forgot something? You bet, but I stopped counting...

So a nice 'driver' has turned into an almost completely 'frame on' restored '79. I sold her for Euro 17.000 (close to US 17.000).

I had a lot of fun with that '79, but I wanted something more driveable. And something that didn't break a new thing everytime I took her for a spin. Although that's almost impossible with all the new parts installed... :s

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom