Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

8 speed automatic

try2pas

Corvette
1972- original; 1980 - restomod; 2016 - Z06
I initially heard that the C7 would have an 8 speed auto and that it was to be built overseas but in a year GM would produce it here.
So the new C7 has a 6 speed auto. Has anyone heard that they will have an 8 speed auto for next year?

Corvette engineering said they would like to consider a seven or eight speed when one becomes available that can handle the LT horsepower and torque.

Corvette engineering said they would like to consider a seven or eight speed when one becomes available that can handle the LT horsepower and torque.

You can bet that GM Powertrain is burning the late night oil to develop a 7 or 8 spd auto. The existing 6-spd auto hamstrings the Corvette and, more importantly, trucks with fuel economy.

It's coming, probably soon, but not just yet.

You can bet that GM Powertrain is burning the late night oil to develop a 7 or 8 spd auto. The existing 6-spd auto hamstrings the Corvette and, more importantly, trucks with fuel economy.

It's coming, probably soon, but not just yet.

I've often thought transmissions might eventually become more important than the engines they sit behind.

An 8 speed would be heavy. Really heavy. And look like a Lenco with pan under it. :chuckle :thumb

I've often thought transmissions might eventually become more important than the engines they sit behind.
An 8 speed would be heavy. Really heavy. And look like a Lenco with pan under it. :chuckle :thumb

That's pretty unlikely.

My guess is that it won't weigh significantly more than the 6-spd auto and it will have to fit in the space the 7-spd manual occupies now. That's a hell of a lot shorter than an Lenco.

My thought!

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

An 8 speed automatic doesnt do a damned thing for performance, and lets be even MORE frank, its all for CAFE and thats it.

When you are talking about .45 seconds shift time between gears or less, lets add that to the 1/4 mile times and see what happens.

Aisin could NOT cut the mustard on a 8 speed that didnt GRENADE when HIGH torque was put to it and still be compact enough to sit in the Corvette tunnel.

And there wasnt a DSG transmission out there that could handle LS3 torque, nevermind LT1.

So that being said, I am sure the 8 speed is coming, although it will probably be like all the 6 speed automatics within GM. A joint venture with dual patents between GM and other car makers.

Allthebest, Paul

Last edited:
:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

An 8 speed automatic doesnt do a damned thing for performance, and lets be even MORE frank, its all for CAFE and thats it.

l

I hadn't wanted to say this until now, but the only thing I see is added cost courtesy of the folks in DC. :crazy

I have talked with a GM engineer and he said the one of the main reason there is no 8spd is they are unable at this time to get either better performance or fuel mileage out of it, He said it took for ever to get the 6pd to match the 4 speed auto he said it is all about marketing not performance.

Starting in May of 2011 GM has earmarked $322 million for their 8 speed transmission. That is much less than the $540 million they spent for the rear wheel drive 6 speed funded in Feb. 2006. I believe that the 2008 Corvette had a 6 speed automatic in it that year. Not to shabby for a turnaround time in a company like GM. Any of the parts I've seen for their new transmissions were most likely still in prototype stages and that was some time back.

I have talked with a GM engineer and he said the one of the main reason there is no 8spd is they are unable at this time to get either better performance or fuel mileage out of it, He said it took for ever to get the 6pd to match the 4 speed auto he said it is all about marketing not performance.

HI there,

When we were in training on the 6L80, we were told EXACTLY the same thing. While europe and asian imports HAD to go to these transmission designs because of engine design factors to improve economy, the small block V8 just didnt need to and when they TRIED, there was NO performance improvement and NO fuel economy improvement.

However, this was NOT on LT1, so I am sure that there will be a time when the 6speed becomes an 8 speed.

I consider the Bosch ECU on the LT1, as powerful as it is, to be the best reason for an 8 speed to work and EQUAL 6L80 performance and economy. Its the engine everyone, nothing else, in my opinion!

Allthebest, Paul

Last edited:
Boy did I ever miss this one, shame on me, oh, wait I didn't - - whatever..........

"Starting in May of 2011 GM has earmarked $322 million for their 8 speed transmission. That is much less than the $540 million they spent for the rear wheel drive 6 speed funded in Feb. 2006. I believe that the 2008 Corvette had a 6 speed automatic in it that year. Not to shabby for a turnaround time in a company like GM. Any of the parts I've seen for their new transmissions were most likely still in prototype stages and that was some time back."

07-27-13, 04:38 PM​

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom