Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80-82 rear differential dilema

427SB

I am currently building an 81' for street/drag use. I am installing a 427SB 600+Hp and richmond 6-speed. My question is: how strong are these rear ends? And, or would I be better off with an earlier model unit? Thanks.

For one thing,that 80-82 unit is only good for about 400 hp.There is more upgrades available for the 63-79 set up.As far as putting an earlier (63-79) set up under an 80-82,I wouldn't know what you will run into.But as you have seen by the guys who hang out around this place,anything is possible.I am sure someone can elighten both of us.

Dave

I believe I will just have to install the older upper crossmember. I haven't dug deep enough into it though. Thanks.

Third Member Strenght

427 SB,

My 81 has a Dana/Spicer 44, and it is supposed to be good for large torque handling. That differential mounting frame doubles as a pumpkin cover.

There are many websites that provide information on the Dana 44. However, they tend to be solid Dana 44's (Jeeps, GM CK's, and so on).

There is probably a CAC member that has upwards of 400 Hp or more in their 1980-82 Vette. But I still think that torque is the key parameter when it comes to Dana 44's. (by the way I found a vendor that sells kits for the Vette -----> Reider Racing

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom