Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'80-'82 rear

A

Avenue

First let me say that I am very pleased to have become a member of this blog.

I have recently completed a 383 SBC build-up of ~425 horses and am now in the process of finding an appropriate Y-body to receive it. For several years now I've admired the shapely '80-'82 C3s. I am especially seeking out a 4-speed '80-'81. The Borg Warner T-10 I believe it is?

However, by way of this site I discovered that the aluminum Dana 44 rear is regarded as a weak-link in the late C3s. As I am not overly familiar with the vette differential market, I'd like to ask if there are any remedies, aftermarket replacements or other swaps to rectify this area of concern. My intention is to utilize a set of 3.73 gears, posi and the afforementioned stroker mill. I do not intend to use the laughy gas (at least not at this point, could change).

Interestingly enough, I've noticed many vettes of the '80-'82 vintage with the popular built-383 swap, and each one seems to retain the stock dana 44 rear with no ill effects. Regardless, I fit into the 'beef it up before it breaks' crowd. This vette will serve primarily as a cruiser, but will see occasional fun runs at the local strip.

Any suggestions or advice offered will be very appreciated. Thanks!

I have been told that I wouldn't have a problem unless I started running some slicks. I don't know how much HP/Torque I'm getting out of my stroker, but I can guarantee that I've never had it all hook up at once!

I always run into a traction problem. I've also read somewhere that our tranny is good to about 400 ft-lbs.

I'm sure more knowledgable experts will chime in.

all manual 80 & 81s and all 82s have a diff that uses larger stub axles and the irs uses larger halfshafts also, the 80 & 81 automatics have the weaker stuff so a manual is definitely the way to go (or an 82 but there were no manuals in 82) The stock diff isn't very strong indeed but as long as you don't run sticky tires and/or dump the clutch it should be fine.

Thanks gedmeyer and twin turbo for your insight.

I had previously read somewhere that the manual 80-81 and all 82 rears were a bit stouter. Still, I'd prefer to avoid any durability question marks and would rather find a way to fortify the current diff or (ideally) replace it with a stronger aftermarket unit specific for the late C3s. To your knowledge, are there any vendors that produce such a diff? Also, have either of you heard of anyone swapping in a '79-earlier rear onto a '80-'82 for sturdiness sake?

I heed your experience and advice that given my intended application the stock rear will be fine assuming I don't run slicks or dump the clutch. However I simply prefer the added assurance a stronger rear would offer. Again, thanks.

BTW Gedmeyer, nice Vette. Your set up is very similar to my eventual goal.

Try Tom's Differentials in California - they're well-known for their super-duty C2/C3 diffs, yokes and half-shafts.
:beer

the earlier cast iron cases bolt right up, there's s some pretty stout parts available for those, also a 12 bolt conversion, you do need to run the halfshafts w/ the drive flanges since the cast iron diff uses the stubs w/ the drive flanges, you can't reuse the old halfshafts, als you need to notch the batwing for these drive flanges.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom