Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

80 L-82 Or 81 4-speed

H

hallslt4

I'M LOOKING AT BUYING ONE OR THE TWO. IN A CORVETTE
STATE OF MIND, WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE.
KNOWING THE LAST OF AVALIBLE OPTIONS MAKES THE
PURCHASE DIFFICULT. THE TWO-TONE CARS OF 81 IS ALL
PAINTED WITH THE CLEAR COAT AT BOWLING GREEN.
LET'S TALK ABOUT IT.

decisions, decisions...

Is the L82 an automatic?
Do you prefer a manual transmission?
I think the 1981's have quite a following, there are many L81 members here...

How do the vettes compare to each other? As in:
Mileage
Mechanical care by previous owner
Overall appearance (interior & exterior)
Price
...and I'm sure there are other items to consider, too...

Silver
ps, would you please use regular lettering, the caps are hard for me to read. :w

The 80 was the last of the non-computer cars. The 81 added a computer to control the carb. The L82 is a "nice" engine for a stocker.

If the cars are equal, by the 80. The key is to buy the best car that you can find for your money. Don't down grade and figure you will fix it later yourself, it will end up costing you alot more then you think.

tom...

hallslt4

A little more information about the 80 ~ 81 ~ 82

You are right, the 1981 was the LAST year of the 4-speed transmission. Acutally the California 1980 ~ 305 came with the same computer setup as the as the 1981 ;).

The 1980 ~ 4-speeds came with the L48 engine option, the L82 were ALL automatic. The L48 came with 190 hp, while the L82 came with 230 hp. The 1981 all engines were the L81 190 hp. The 1982 ALL came with the L83 which I believe came in at 235 hp and ALL were automatics.

In 1980 I ordered a MM4 option car with the L48, I also autocrossed it ALOT and I didn't have any problems running with the L82's ;) I now have a 1981 MM4 optioned Corvette, yes with the COMPUTER... and I wouldn't trade it. I've owned several Corvettes.. 9 to be exact from a C1 ~ C4 and didn't hesitate to look for my present one to be my last one.

I love them all but the 1980 was my very first NEW Corvette and I've always liked the body style and the ride, performance isn't what the C4 is but it gets the job done ;)

At the top of the page you'll see a tab for Specifications just click on it and punch in the year Corvette and you'll see exactly the number and tech. specs for that year. Good luck on your search.

go with the 4 speed car.you might get bored very quickly with an auto.a buddy of mine bought an auto last year,he sold in 3 months time.he said driving that auto was no fun.this is just my take on this.

80 or 81 for my second vette

Thanks for the info guys,i have a 96 LT4 collector edition 1 of 164
with the torch red int,coupe. I'm looking for a c3 because my first
love was a 79. The 82 collector is cool but priced real high right now. Have any of you guys been to the National Corvette Museum? I go to many of the events,it is truly the mecca for the
past present,and future of the Corvette. later.

Re: 80 or 81 for my second vette

hallslt4 said:
Thanks for the info guys,i have a 96 LT4 collector edition 1 of 164
with the torch red int,coupe. I'm looking for a c3 because my first
love was a 79. The 82 collector is cool but priced real high right now. Have any of you guys been to the National Corvette Museum? I go to many of the events,it is truly the mecca for the
past present,and future of the Corvette. later.

Did someone say NCM.. :D hallslt4 there should be a few "Sharks" swimming around the National Corvette Museum this coming Labor Day Weekend ;)
Rare81 said:
The National Corvette Museum (NCM) proudly announces “SHARKFEST” ~ This will be the inaugural SHARK event at (NCM) Labor Day Weekend, 2002. Labor Day Weekend is the annual Hall of Fame induction into the National Corvette Museum. 2002 Labor Day weekend will be the beginning of something very special: **SHARKFEST** . Labor Day Weekend 2002 will be a celebration of ALL SHARKS, 1968~1982.

The Corvette Action Center and the L81VetteRegistry are proud to be associated with NCM in conjunction with “SHARKFEST 2002”.

ALL CORVETTES are welcome.

Who: 1968 ~ 1982 Corvettes (Event’s Featured Corvettes)

What: FIRST Annual “SHARKFEST” & (5th Annual) Hall of Fame Celebration

When: Labor Day Weekend 2002 (August 28th ~ September 1st)

Where: National Corvette Museum (NCM), Bowling Green, Kentucky

ALL Corvettes are invited to attend.
Labor Day Weekend 2002 is being staged as a tribute to the “SHARK.” There will be Seminars especially for the Shark. The NCM has reserved the track for Low Speed Autocross and Drag Racing (Beach Bend facility). I’m sure as things develop we will be able to manage a celebrity judged car show and set aside some time at the Santa Fe for a couple of Peanut wars.

I urge all 1968 ~ 1982 Corvettes to bring their owners and make the trip to Bowling Green for Labor Day 2002. The L81VetteRegistry will, once again, be setting up a Caravan from the West Coast. Details to follow.. Hint: I think this time we'll take the Northern route (I-80).

I’ll post more details as they become available. The L81VetteRegistry encourages ALL SHARK Registries to contact Larry Hayes at the National Corvette Museum and get involved.

Bud Dougherty
L81VetteRegistry
Administrator

Also you can click on the L81VetteRegistry Logo below and then go to the Events section and see photo's from our last Blast at NCM "Rendezvous 2001"

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom