Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 corvette ?????

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I just recently won a ebay auction for the remains of a 1981 corvette ( it was a theft recovery ) what looks like is left is just basically the stripped body of the car and frame, the frame is a automatic one comes with front suspension and is supposed to be a no hit one for the body its missing the doors, tops, hood and lights .... now for the frame is it completely compatible with my 82's I have heard since the driveshafts and such were larger mounting stuff was different also its supposed to come with the original long block that ran when removed the guy doesnt know if its a L-82 L-48 or what does anyone have any codes to verify what this motor is before I take it, Im thinking no matter what the whole thing is worth the 300 bucks I paid for it, its my guess that from 81-82 there weren't many changes except for crossfire injection and the 700R4 trans or so I hope any help is appreciated

If it's an 81, the engine should be an L81, only option available, and I'm sure someone can help you with verification. :)

T Jay

mxout165 is correct, if it is an original engine it is an L81 there were no others, rated 190 hp at 4200 rpm. Most likely the transmission is a TH350 if it is an automatic. The TH400 is a different length but all other mountings are the same at least thats what I have read. The L83 engine in your 82 is a slightly higher compression and fuel injection rated at 200 hp at 5200 rpm. Same block, same mounts, minor if any differences.

well after looking at the 81 vette shell what a major dissapointment so I decided not to buy it when I looked at the front suspension the left lower a-arm was literally torn away from the crossmember and where the mount is that the steering cylinder mounts to was also torn away from the frame ... I thought it very kind of the guy not to disclose this damage prior to renting a trailer and driving 180 miles and he said NO the car has never been hit

I would be seriously ****ed after all that and the car is not as described. Bad feedback leaving time on Ebay, in the least..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom