Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: '81 Exhaust Manifolds

ladams

Corvette
1981 White
Maybe a stupid question....but why can I never find exhaust manifolds for an '81 in any of the regular catalogues? (ecklers, corvette america, etc.)

Not a stupid question; they are very hard to find if you are looking for OEM style. I bought mine from McJacks....not new, but rebuilt, re-welded and ceramic coated....here is a link with a photo. I hope the link works:
http://www.vetteheaders.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

I live in Ottawa and had them shipped.....pricey, but they look good; will install, when the snow leaves.....dbj

Not a stupid question; they are very hard to find if you are looking for OEM style. I bought mine from McJacks....not new, but rebuilt, re-welded and ceramic coated....here is a link with a photo. I hope the link works:
http://www.vetteheaders.com/servlet/Detail?no=7

I live in Ottawa and had them shipped.....pricey, but they look good; will install, when the snow leaves.....dbj

Thanks. I wonder why they are so hard to find? What are other options?

Thanks. I wonder why they are so hard to find? What are other options?

I had to have the air 'injectors' rewelded back on to mine to pass Colorado emissions testing in 1999 (removed by the previous owner). The guy who did this surgery for me cut them off a caprice wagon. Where I am now, they are not required, but if I ever put headers on, I'll keep the stock (repaired) ones in a box, just in case.

As to options, I am certainly no expert, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with the car. Many L81 owners, as particpants in this forum and the L81 Registry, have replaced the OEM with aftermarket headers, so I believe there are a variety to choose from. Some of the aftermarker I looked at could not encorporate the A/C and I could not give that up and survive at home, if you know what I mean. I decided to keep mine as OEM , complete with the AIR tubes, partially to keep it as original as possible, partially because that was, to me, a simpler solution as to fit, and partially because I rebuilt or replaced the emissions equipment in anticipation of the rules getting tighter in Ontario. I suppose it is possible to have your headers 'refurbished' locally (if they need it) and even coated. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. My opinion only and I am sure other readers will be more than happy to provide you with some options/solutions.

dbj

PS: I note there are a lot of readers in this forum, but can I suggest that you post your question into the L81 Registry forum as well.....I know you will get some ideas from there, in the event the L81ers miss the opportunity here.....just a suggestion and perhaps the Admin can move it over there...........dbj

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom