Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 power steering valve

GT6Steve@aol.com

Corvette
1981 Oyster coupe
Greetings Amigos,
I spent the last weekend replacing the steering column rag joint and the power steering control valve ball stud. As soon as I had it out I realized the ball stud was fine but I replaced it anyway. I did adjust the balance side to side to what I felt was pretty nuetral.
Back on the road monday morning I found the power steering (again) to be super light and subject to the slightest sneeze. I was again dissatisfied with what I perceived to be overcompensation.
Now, I've got fluid pouring out of the valve so I'm fed up and thinking of just buying a new valve.
SO, At last, the question. Can I buy a different control valve and somewhat reduce the power steering amplification and improve the feel???
Any advice welcomed...Steve in Las Vegas

STEVE, as far as i have seen there is no different type of p/s valve. i have been looking at alot of cataloges,all are the same. JOHN Z recommended rebuilding the original GM valve ,because the quality will be better.

hope this helps

ROBIN

Robin,

Thank You,
I never considered getting non GM parts when buying a rebuilt valve. I noticed a pretty hefty difference in price with the rebuilds but assumed they were all original parts. Now I know what to ask. Thanx

GT6Steve:

If you haven't done it already, you can adjust the preload on your power steering box. The preload is adjusted by loosening the 5/8 inch nut on the top of the steering box and rotating the screw in the center to take out any slop in the ball and worm steering gear.
If your steering wheel is"loose" that is if you have play when you turn the wheel, but it doesn't move the steering control valve, you need to adjust it.
Start the engine, and wiggle the steering wheel (or have someone else do it) back and forth as you turn the screw on the steering box clockwise until the excess movement is eliminated. It should be tight and responsive at the least, but increase the preload to suit your driving preferences as required. If you set it too tight, the worm gear will wear faster and it will drive with a high degree of effort. Once you are satisfied, tighten up the lock nut and try it out for a few days.

The procedure described by wishuwerehere82 had the greatest impact on my steering. I replaced the control valve and rebuilt the cylinder, but adjusting the preload made the most difference. The steering was far more responsive and the car handled somewhat normal. Before I made the adjustment my wife was scared to drive the vette due to the car wondering all over the road. And forget about the ruts in the highway...it was liking being on an amusement park ride...scarry. As mentioned, be carefull not to overtighten the nut.

CorvetteFaq.Com has the exact procedure, which involves taking the unit out of the car as I recall.

My guy ballparked and used the ability of the car to straighten itself coming out of a turn as the guide. Too tight and the car won't center itself. Too loose and the steering is sloppy.

Adjusting the steering box

Very interesting comments. I never considered the steering box being an issue. It struck me that the PS was simply way too light. Now that you say it, perhaps the ram is sized to combat a bit of friction from the box. It does bump steer and follow ruts even though all else seems OK. I'll try that when it goes back together.
Is it safe to assume everyone else is satisfied with their steering??

STEVE, I have good feedback from my p/s unit. i too had to adjust the box. however there is still a little bumpsteer. i have considered the kit to resolve the bumpsteer issue. from what i've read it is a common ailment when we put larger/wider wheels on our cars.

be careful, he's got a wrench in his hand

ROBIN

p.. steve you still own a GT6?

All:

The power steering assist cylinder is an enhancement that the Corvettes incorporated into their design, most '70's GM cars had only the steering box driving the steering rack. The box itself is the direct link between the steering wheel and the P.S assist control valve by way of the pittman arm. I have adjusted several of my freinds boxes after hearing of the loose steering situation. I most cases it solved the problem.
One of buddies was convoying with 5 of us back from Carlisle for a 5 Hr. trip, and couldn't go over 50MPH without losing control of his '80 Vette. When we got home, I found he had almost 2" of side to side slop in his steering wheel. It's a 5 min. job to adjust it, and I wished he had mentioned it ealier, since I had my tools with me on the road. It must have been really scary! He has been under control ever since.
It's a good place to start if your steering is flopping around and you are having a hard time keeping it in your own lane.
Happy trails!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom