Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 seat covers

chuckhinva

Corvette
1996 LT4 Coupe
Replacing the seat covers in my '81. Does anyone know of a link or source for doing this? The Rowley vette article is for the earlier C-3's and not very helpful.

I bought mine from Willcox Corvette 800-588-3883. They do not have an up to date website, but if you call they are very helpful, and have great prices.

If memory serves, Eckler's has a video for upholstery installation. They also have an installation service if you want to spring for it.
:)

Thanks for the info. Bought these from Wilcox and they are very helpful (and good prices). Was trying to save the cushions but they were shot. If I had known that, I would have just purchased the cushions already upholstered. The extra cost is not great and the aggravation is eliminated. Not to mention I could be driving now instead of replying to this thread.

I bought mine from Willcox Corvette 800-588-3883. They do not have an up to date website, but if you call they are very helpful, and have great prices.

Did you buy the installation kit? Looks like I didn't get enough clips. I count 25 in each seat (15 bottom/ 10 back) but only got 34 for both seats.

No I didn't by the install kit, just used hog rings and hog ring pliers which you can pick up at just about any hardware store. It is a good idea if you are using your exsisting foam to get a 1/2" thick piece to cover the foam, then install the covers. It will fill the voids that the previously compressed/worn foam tends to leave.

If you are missing some of the hog rings from the install kit, email me your address and I’ll send you a bunch no charge on Monday willcox@willcoxcorvette.com .

Your post mentioned clips, but I don’t know of any clips used to install the 79-82 seat covers. The rods that pass through the cover ring direct to the wire in the seat foam. I went to our shop this morning and took an original seat back apart.

w

That is correct there are wires at the seams and around the edge that are fastened to the seat with hog rings. You need spry glue to attach the 1/2" foam to the old foam. Pretty simple procedure. The hard part is getting the assembled seats back on the frame!

If you are missing some of the hog rings from the install kit, email me your address and I’ll send you a bunch no charge on Monday willcox@willcoxcorvette.com .

Your post mentioned clips, but I don’t know of any clips used to install the 79-82 seat covers. The rods that pass through the cover ring direct to the wire in the seat foam. I went to our shop this morning and took an original seat back apart.

w
The installation kit comes with hog rings and clips (looks like a paper clip with issues). I assumed the clips were to connect the wires in the covering and the seat foam and the hog rings attached the fabric at the edges. My seats have been reupholstered before so I don't have a guide.

Am I wrong? Seems like hog rings to connect the wires would be a lot easier.

You just need hog rings. Hog rings for the inner wires at the seams/channels, and hog rings at the seat cover edge.

I have had many a car seat under my belt, I used to own a custom shop that did auto interiors back in the late 70's - early 80'S.

You just need hog rings. Hog rings for the inner wires at the seams/channels, and hog rings at the seat cover edge.

I have had many a car seat under my belt, I used to own a custom shop that did auto interiors back in the late 70's - early 80'S.

What do you think about using plastic wire ties for the inner wires? You know the kind used to bundle wires. They are flexible and pretty strong. Occurred to me this might be a simple solution.

I am punting the clips - they have exceeded my knowledge and expertise. Hog rings I understand.

Take both seats out use one as a template for where the hog rings go. The toughest part is lining up the wire. I bought what looks like a screw driver with a hooked end. I used the tool to pull the two wires together. I then looped the hog ring around both wires. Once I had the hog ring on both wires I compressed it with the hog ring pliers. It will take you a couple of hours to do each seat.

Jim

What do you think about using plastic wire ties for the inner wires? You know the kind used to bundle wires. They are flexible and pretty strong. Occurred to me this might be a simple solution.

I am punting the clips - they have exceeded my knowledge and expertise. Hog rings I understand.

I have never tried the nylon ties, but they should work. I actually like the idea, because you can loop them under the wire, and the snug them up, and cut away the excess. I would try that!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom