Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

81 stalls code 23 from ECM

1981 stock corvette, 87K. Last month or so, idles up fine, runs ok on the road until it’s warmed up. Check engine lite comes on and it dies. Cranks back up and does it again within 5-10 minutes.

I replaced the fuel filter (pretty nasty) and I still get it. Today I took it out. After stopping, idling, then attempt to take off, the car would stutter, and then go. Check engine lite started flashing every minute or so. At one point, I had to cross 2 lanes of traffic, and it stuttered. Though I was gonna die.

Anyway, I pulled the codes and I get 23 Mixture Control Solenoid Circuit. I checked the connectors, cleaned them. I also noticed that turning on ignition before start, I hear a single click, then another when I shut off.

Is the switch flakey? BTW a few weeks back I pulled the dash to replace the speedometer. They dash lights aren’t working now after I put it back, could this be related? Tach works fine.
If you did not get answer yet. check or replace the temperature sensor on right front side of engine.

Resolved Finally

If you did not get answer yet. check or replace the temperature sensor on right front side of engine.

Finally got around to looking at this. Was checking grounds, connections etc. Now the car doesn't fire. Someone on another forum suggested pulling the 4 wire connector from the ECM to the distributor. Still no fire. When I reconnected, it check the ground connection on the distrib and the connector to batt fell off! Reconnected and now all is well! Seems this thing was barely connected and must have been loosing contact due to vibration, heat etc. No more stalls. No more check engine.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help!

Nice,

food for thought- you might want to check any wires and connections that you can find!
If one was bad there usually will be others

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom