Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'81 Vanity Mirror

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
Has anyone tried to fix the vanity mirror on the passenger side? The visor in my '81 is fine, but it seems the switch for the lights on the vanity mirror has slipped out of position, and the lights don't work at all when the lid is raised.

Is there any easy way to remove the mirror from the visor, to see if I can move the switch back into position? I'm afraid to pull the mirror, since I don't know how it attaches, and don't want to break it off entirely.

Also, does anyone sell just the switch for the mirror...without having to buy the whole mirror assembly again?

herron:

I have exactly the same issue.. Everything looks fine on the mirror but it just wont light up. I wish I had an answer for you but I have not yet tackled that issue.

I've had it light, but can't keep it that way. I think the problem is the switch...and I have no idea where to find one.

It would be much simpler to replace that one little switch than the entire mirror (make that cheaper...not simpler)! :D

The switch is simply unavailable anywhere and a replacement vanity mirror is darn near as hard to find too. I didn't see any in Carlisle. What I did to mine was to rewire the vanity light to the bulb in the glove box. That way when wife does her make up (which is often) she likes to open the GBox and lay her stuff there, and therefore the light comes on in the GBox and vanity mirror. When she's done the door gets closed and out goes both lights. I never have to worry about it being accidentally left on. I guess all that college didn't go to waste.

later........... nut

Thanks, Dave. I know the mirror reproduction is available...actually from several sources...but my visor and mirror is fine. I was hoping to find the switch, which is the only part of mine that is bad (and more than $100 seems a little steep for that little critter) :eyerole

...That way when wife does her make up (which is often) she likes to open the GBox and lay her stuff there, and therefore the light comes on in the GBox and vanity mirror...later........... nut

Nut,

I believe that "often" is pretty normal for wives...;LOL My wife in adddition to the make-up, can do the driving as well (right seat driver).:rotfl

On the subject, though, that's pretty clever fix.

GerryLP:cool

Thanks Gerry. The Mid America fix is $120. Mine was a couple hours of my time and I still have the original and in the odd-ball Cinnabar color too.

nut

I had the same problem on one of my 82's. The mirror assembly pops out
and in my case, the switch was ok, it just needed a little solder where one wire connected to the switch.

Since it's just a small micro switch, I wonder if it could be replaced with some generic switch?

Good luck.
:w
Guy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom