Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Air Cleaner Assembly

HighFlyer

Corvette
1982 Collector Edition
Hi Everyone,
I have an 82 Collector Edition, and my Air Cleaner Assembly is in pretty bad shape. I have seen replacements for sale online, but I was wondering if anyone new of some way of getting rid of that huge assembly and replacing it with two individual air filters assemblies , as you would on cars that have dual carbs.
Any suggestions? Any feedback is greatly appreciated as usual.

Hi Everyone,
I have an 82 Collector Edition, and my Air Cleaner Assembly is in pretty bad shape. I have seen replacements for sale online, but I was wondering if anyone new of some way of getting rid of that huge assembly and replacing it with two individual air filters assemblies , as you would on cars that have dual carbs.
Any suggestions? Any feedback is greatly appreciated as usual.

:w HighFlyer!

The CFI air box doesn't have a traditional, round neck that meets the throttlebodies. It's kinda square-ish actually. You probably had seen that though as you've owned the car. That's probably the biggest limitation: most aftermarket air cleaners have round necks and ours do not.

Now, there are a lot of folks that modify the base- essentially they cut the air cleaner bases loose from the assembly. Oceangal did this to her air cleaner...:thumb
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...-everyone-its-been-long-time.html#post1107722

Hope that helps!

Hi HighFlyer,
Welcome to the CAC..

In addition to what Kane pointed out, also bear in mind that the hood closes over the air intake hole of the assembly. Not sure what effect it would have if you chose a different style that would eliminate that air flow (Might even be for the better :L).. I personally havent seen an 82 CE with something other then OEM (except one that made his polished chrome)..

Whatever you decide, show it here please. Always interested to see what other people do to theirs.

:w
-Stefan

Last edited:
The 82 induction system is one year only and is designed to work with the TBI and the ducted hood. I like the looks of it, but that's a personal thing.
:thumb

Thanks everybody for your responses, If i find anything I'll make sure to post the pictures.
Thanks again

At one time, we had an 82 CE in the family.

The one issue which kept me from scrapping that air filter assy was that it was part of the car's cold air package. At wide open throttle the ECM would command a vacuum motor to open the flapper valve that brought cold air from outside, though ducts in the hood into the TBI.

As 82s were about at gutless as you can get....the gas milege of a V8 with the performance of a V6...they need all the help they can get. I simply put K&N Filters in the assembly and left it alone to do its thing.

I removed the flapper from the hood on mine so it would get better air at all times.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom