Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 82 CE gasket replacement

vh82

Corvette
1982 Collectors Edition
My 82 CE is a dream come true-going on 2 yrs as 3rd owner-happened across this site and think it's the cat's "rear"! Finally, answers for those of us that aren't mechanics. Fixin to replace gaskets on the t's,doors and hatch in a few months. If anyone has good tips on how not to screw this up, please advise. Thanks

I suggest 3M automotive weatherstrip cement and 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover. The remover works and will not etch paint, but you have to be patient and let it work.

I purchased the weatherstrip installation tool kit from Eckler's and found it useful, but also found I kept returning to the tool which amounts to nothing more than a stubby putty knife.

Use the assembly instruction manual as a guide for removing and installing the weatherstrips. Screws and other fasteners are illustrated in the AIM and it helps to know where they are.

Clean any mold release agent off the new weatherstrip and lay them in the sun to warm them up. They will be easier to work with.

Good luck.

:)

Welcome to the CAC, VH82.. Nice to have anothe 82 CE around. Please do register with the 82 CE Registry, we're trying to have ALL 82 CE's on there..

To the weatherstrips: What Mike said: :thumb

I only did my rear hatch one and i was getting a bit impatient and it shows. TAKE YOUR TIME ! I know there is time contrains with the glue, but do take any and all time you can, it'll look much better afterwards.

:w
-Stefan

Welcome from a fellows 82 CE

I paid a local specialty vette shop to do mine. I know, I know, I setting my self up for "Ribbing" but at least it got done right the first time:D

Good Luck I'm happy another CE has found a good home !

I just finished the last pieces of mine yesterday, the "side window vertical strips" and I can tell you everything that's already said is completely accurate! I'd suggest you don't pull everything off at once. Break the project up. Do the tops, or the doors, maybe one side or the other, but I don't think I'd do all the weather stripping at the same time.

I’m really glad I did mine, there are no leaks, and everything fits as it should. It was well worth the effort. Take your time; let the adhesive remover soak into what's left of the old weather strips after you remove them. Then rub and rub and it'll all come off. One note, you may find you have to adjust your windows once you get all the weather striping done around them. Like 6880 Mike said, use the AIM, it’s a valuable resource. If you do have to adjust the windows, follow the service manual. If you don't have one, get one, (get an AIM too) you'll use it time and again!!

2 things I learned doing the stripping on my 82 non-ce:
1) buy the oe style weather stripping. It fits and seals better.
2) go slowly!!!! It takes less time to slow down and get it right the first time than to redo 1/2 the job later.

Good luck!

Thanks for all y'alls input on the weatherstripping-can't wait till the only whistling I hear is my own, and the fear of raindrops is history! Will let yall know how it turns out.