Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'82 Cross-fire running open loop

Twinturbo,

I can't log in to that site because I have roadrunner address.
They don't take us roadrunners as members.
If you remember any of your old stuff, help me out will you?
I am probably at the best performance that I can get out of this L-83. Maybe nothing is wrong and it's just running the way it is supposed to. I can't tell. Is it supposed to idle rough?

Pete.

Went to crossfire for a look. They say you can get in with hot mail and it is free. bad idle seemed to center around a couple different items. Cracked tooth on magnetic pickup in distributor. EGR valve stuck or inoperative. Wires, cap and plugs. Vacuum leaks ( even to brake booster). TPS bad at a spot just above idle so when voltage checked it reads OK. On an 84 they said to replace TPS and set voltage to .525 volts, not .540 Hope this helps.

If you still can't get on there I will try to be your go between if you wish. email me luvmyredc3@mit.midco.net or IM at luvmyredc3@yahoo.com .

Curtis

Thanks Curtis,

I sent you a private E-mail.
I do have a rounded off tooth on my igmition reluctor.

Pete.

wishuwerehere82 said:
Twinturbo,

I can't log in to that site because I have roadrunner address.
They don't take us roadrunners as members.
If you remember any of your old stuff, help me out will you?
I am probably at the best performance that I can get out of this L-83. Maybe nothing is wrong and it's just running the way it is supposed to. I can't tell. Is it supposed to idle rough?

Pete.
Can't you get a free hotmail account or something? The problem is not that you can't get the email password confirmation but that when you post and out server sends out an email telling you about replies they get bounced and we get swamped in non deliverable emails. Have you already registered or did you try it after I put in the code to disallow rr and aol?

Twin Turbo,

Oh, you're Twinnie. I like your Cross-Fire site. I used the schematics to buzz out the O2 sensor line in my system, and printed out a copy of your pages for my reference book.
I did learn a lot about the ECM from your site.

I will work on getting a hotmail account so that I can access the forums. I tried registering, but it kicked me out with the roadrunner I.P. address.

I would like to put a twin turbo on my '82 too. After I make a million dollars or so. Your engine looks great!

Thanks for the help.

I don't have the twin turbo on the crossfire system but on a 4 double dellorto carbed individual runner crossram:

enginebaycomplete3.JPG

enginebaycomplete1.JPG

I'm on your system now.

Where's this ESC module that I see in the diagrams?
I don't see it on my car anywhere. Is it on the 82's?
My timing mark is moving back and forth at idle as the RPM's go up and down, even when I disconnect the advance wire to the distributor. That may be my problem. Once I revv the engine up for a little while it stabilises at idle. It makes it hard to set the timing and believe it is correct.

Pete.

The EST is part of the HEI module in the distributor (it's got more wires than the modules for mech/vac. advance systems)

If you disconnect the tan HEI bypass lead the ignition timing should stay rock steady, if it's not it may be the knock retard circuit interfering, you might want tos can for knock counts or disconnect (temporarily) the knock sensor.

Ok.

I replaced the ignition module last week.
I will test the knock sensor(with a hammer) to see if it's working. I can't do a scan on it until I build the test cable to interface to my P.C.
Thanks for the help.

Pete

I don't know what I did except unplug all of my EGR and smog pump lines,and put them back on again, but it works.

Everything works great!:) :) :)
I put a bottle of injector cleaner in, topped off the tank and put about 4 gal. of 100 octane racing fuel in today and took it for a long ride at 35-60 MPH and it runs great!
Maybe I just got a bad tankful of gas a couple of weeks ago and it caused all the problems. Yeah, sure!
Thanks for all the advice everyone, especially Pancho, Curtis, and Twin turbo.

Pete.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom