Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Fuel gauge

Rmodeler

Corvette
'82' Silver Blue
It never goes below ½. When filled it goes a little ways past the full mark. I replaced the fuel pump(w/85) a while back, and the float seems to be totally free, nothing obstructing it. Is it a faulty/sticking fuel gauge, or are there some other thngs to check out before replacing the gauge? Does the gauge come out from the front by removing the 4 screws that I can see on the front?

Unplug the harness at the sending unit then turn the ignition to on. Does the gauge read empty? If so then look to your sending unit. If not all guages are accessed from the back.

Mine does the same thing.I'm going to leave it alone because I'm going to an 85 pump pretty soon anyway.

I replaced the sending unit and still have the same problem. In fact the gauge only goes down to 3/4 now. What should I check next?

Here is a quick question: when the gauge reads 1/2 (or 3/4 according to you latest post) is the tank actually empty?

Due to some modifications by the previous owner, my fuel lines are hooked up backwards. The fuel pump is pumping out of the return line. Since the return is mounted higher in the tank than the pickup, my car can never get the last few gallons in the tank.

This means my guage is accurate, but when it reads 1/4 tank, I'm out of fuel.

The next time it reads 3/4 and behaves like it is out of fuel, see how many gallons it takes to fill it up. If it takes 23 gallons of gas, then the tank was empty and the gauge is wrong.

If it reads 3/4 and it takes 6 gallons, then the gauge is accurate and you have a different problem.

There is a float in the tank. There is also a sock on the pump. either the float bottoms out and hits the tank or the sock has shifted and is obstruction the float. Thats assuming the guage is fine.

See the float and sock in the picture below...

FuelPump.jpg
[/IMG]

Sending unit is new. Made sure that it could move freely when I installed it. The problem must be with the gauge.

It could be the plastic bladder in the tank is some how stopping the float from moving freely. Common problem in 82 the bladder pulls away from the tank and floats in the way of the sending unit.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom