Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'82 Pop-Up Window in an '81?

herron

Corvette
1981 T-Top, Silver over Blue
Anyone know how difficult it might be to install an '82 pop-up rear window in an '81? Better yet, anyone know where to get one?
:confused

The Hatch ? There used to be a conversion kit, if i remember correctly. I cant find the website right now though.

If i can find it, i'll post it here..

:w
-Stefan

...There used to be a conversion kit, if i remember correctly...

Yep. Can't recall who put it out, but after the CEs were available, someone had a kit using the CE hatch and hardware. It was a retrofit for 78-82. Not sure it's still in production.

FWIW: You could get the 82 assembly instruction manual (AIM) and see how the hatch was installed on the CEs at Bowling Green. AIM will also have a listing of the original parts and part numbers, plus line drawings of he required bracketry, interior trim, etc. You should be able to put together a shopping list of what you're going to need for the conversion.

The single most expensive piece will be the CE hatchback glass. Not all that many of those around.

:)

I had explored the possibilities of these several years ago. Ran into hinges stretching and owners having a hell of a time trying to find replacements for this design flaw. Also was told that, and have seen first hand that the seal issues for this setup are not the best, along with rattling of the rear window and trim. Thirdly but not least was cost. Even if you can find a used one, with all the hardware and glass easily will be over 2k to buy.

Not trying to rain on your parade bro..but just passing on what was passed onto me so..figured forewarned is forearmed. Good luck with whatever you decide to do..

Joe..

Being the proud owner of a 82 CE hatch in my '81 let me give you the real scoop. The hatch has been in my car for 25 years.
1. C&C (Cars and Concepts) was contracted by GM to fabricate the glass hatch kits and sent them to Bowling Green for installation in the 82 CE's ONLY!

2. C&C went out of business nearly 15 years ago. There are NO known CURRENT suppliers of a similar kit although they (c&c) did make the kit for a number of years as an aftermarket kit. I have seen only two go available on eBay over the last 5-6 years. Both went for well over $2500 with minimal installation paperwork.

3. The plastic trim and window do NOT rattle if installed correctly. The trim screws, just like most of the other screws in the interior need ocassional tightening. The window seals tight and the two hatch bolts on the glass are adjustable.

4. The glass. I am not aware of anyone that makes the glass. If mine ever broke I'd have to go back to a sealed window like the other 78-82's.

5. The seal: Again the (correct) seals are extremely difficult to get and many seal manufacturers will tell you they have them available. I suspect they are regular glass seals and will NOT seal properly. There is a very subtle difference in the seals and not easy to recognize.

6. The hatch release cord: Another delicate item. I have spent many a summer day at Carlisle rifling through parts bins looking for a used hatch cord; let alone an OEM part. I pull mine only ocassionally as the cord has stretched and made the window somewhat tougher to release.

7. Leaks: as the seal gets flattened over the years the hatch will leak a little water into the tray. I have injected silicone into the seal folds, kept them lubricated and yet there is a slight leak. I live with it only because it doesn/t leak onto the carpet.

I would never try to install one of these kits unless you were a very talented body shop mechanic. This is not a weekend job. I have only seen two other C3's with the hatch and both of those got the windows and parts from a salvage yard wrecked 82CE. Over the years I found the window more of a conversation piece and not a functional accessory. The hatch cord is behind the drivers side seat and a pain to get at. And the rear antenna prevents easy and open access to the hatch once open. You have to be VERY careful of a belt buckle or blue jeans zipper rubbing against the rear quarter panel when trying to put something in/out of the car.

Just my .02 worth.

nut

Not being "a very talented body shop mechanic" and only asking because it is such a pain to clean the inside of that glass, I think I will erase the thought from my mind completely.

Thanks, nut, for the voice of experience. ;)

You can always buy a nice 82CE to add to your stable.. I've seen a couple come up lately.. :L

-Stefan

You can always buy a nice 82CE to add to your stable.. I've seen a couple come up lately.. :L

-Stefan
Stefan:
If I get another one, I'd like to set my sights on something early 60-ish. A good one is out of my price range but, hey, we're dreaming here! :L

Nut has it right.My 82CE was the same way.it seems that all of the hinges strech about 1/2".I got luckly and got a pair of hinges that a guy over on the 82 registy made out of solid one inch 6061t6 alum.They look great,better looking than GM.These will never strech.I also go a pair of struts that he modified and they work real good.I pull the handle and the window pops open rises up quickley about 3/4's of the way up and then the last 1/4"it's real slow with no stress on anything.My back window leaked a little on my package tray thing now no leak.I am very happy with the fix.I open the window when ever I need to and yes it is a godsend for cleaning the window.GM had a good idea that they should have done in 78 but it wasn't done right in the first place.Mine is fixed forever.I also agree that a change over is not for the weak at heart.There are a lot of things you would have to do to the top inside.After removing the inside trim pice you would have to fab up something just to mount the hinge Then you would have to cut out some of your inside trim for the hinge to go through.I'm pretty machcanicly good on cars and even I wouldn't want to try and do that.It's too bad like I said,if GM would have done that in the first place (78) I'm sure replacements parts would not be hard to find.

It still sounds far more involved than I want to tackle. I'll just have to figure out a long pole device to clean that back window! ;)

I don't find the back window too difficult to clean. Just fold down the passanger seat, and lay down. Hey how often do you need to clean the back window anyway?

Depends on how clean you like it, I guess.

My problem is being 6'2" and 255 pounds...with bad knees and back. Hard to manuever in there.....;)

Depends on how clean you like it, I guess.

My problem is being 6'2" and 255 pounds...with bad knees and back. Hard to manuever in there.....;)

A 82 flip up wouldnt help you there either... When the hatch is up, it's quite a stretch to get to the it and you better be quite "bendy", without scratching the rear deck. It sounds a bit better then the closed one, but not by much. ;)

I think I will work on the long pole idea! :L ;)

Have you tried washing it with the T-tops off?

Yep. I don't get any smaller with them off. :D

Just thought you might be able to "lean in", I never tried it that way, just climb in on my back. I am not too small myself, around 6' & 225+.

Thats the problem,You guys are too dang big!!!LOL.I'm 5"6" and 160.I fit in a vette like a glove

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom