Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 Radio Wiring

82Redo said:
The orange one is a constant hot so I used it for primary power, that keeps the clock time. The brown one I didn't use. I capped it because it is hot most of the time, unless the tail light fuse blows :L and I don't want it shorting anywhere. I'm doing the brackets for the physical mounting right now. It'll be back together tonight and I'll see the dashboard lights work. :rotfl I kill me!

Thanks for all your help Mike.

frank

orange is for constant power...memory

yellow is for radio power goes on when ignition is on

82Redo said:
The orange one is a constant hot so I used it for primary power, that keeps the clock time. The brown one I didn't use. I capped it because it is hot most of the time, unless the tail light fuse blows :L and I don't want it shorting anywhere. I'm doing the brackets for the physical mounting right now. It'll be back together tonight and I'll see the dashboard lights work. :rotfl I kill me!

Thanks for all your help Mike.

frank

brown you mention goes to light switch....has something to do with the dial light. Shop manaul shows two browns. Teh other one is for the LH rear speaker.

Good for you !!

But believe me, even at 5'10" and having a CE, it aint fun snaking yourself into any area of the car.. And on the back, you better be tall to hang your body in there, and tippie toe on the ground.. Without scratching the rear deck.. It's fun with those old cars, aint it ? ;LOL

:w
-Stefan

Edit: I dont know how this one ended up above your post.. I wrote it at 4:15pm.. :confused

That's odd, I took voltage readings off the brown wire while working the dimmer switch and the voltage stayed at 11.9 vdc. I took the same readings off the grey wire while working the dimmer switch and it varied from 0 to 11.9 vdc. I wired it and put everything back together. I'm now installing the speakers. The left front one was pretty trashed. The right front wasn't too bad. It was a pain to figure out though, the hole pattern on the new brackets weren't the same as old pattern so I had to make some adjustments. The location of the screws closest to the window weren't any fun either. At least the speaker grilles went back on, you can't tell any difference in the looks. Today is the rear speakers. Not gonna be fun though, I'm 6'3" tall and the non-special edition doesn't have an opening hatchback. Just gonna squish on in there and hope I don't have to re-engineer anything. If I think the lights are too bright at night, I may go back in and re-re-re-wire the grey to the brown. Time will tell.

Thanks!

Actually funny to hear another tall guy (I'm 6'5") trying to get in the back of the car. Mine came with a aftermarket system but they just literally stuck the 6x9s in the rear using the magnets to hold them in place....hence the first rattling noise I discover :)

I found that speaker box template to be just the ticket, I'll probably build those soon.

It's odd how they did mine....and I think it's stock. The rear speaker grilles are mounted with nut plates to pieces of plastic that are screwed to the back. When it was new, I'm sure that was ok, but as the plastic gets old, it gets brittle. As I'm removing the first grille, a nutplate falls out, ok, I'll figure it out later where that goes. Later came real quick, during initial inspection I found that's where the grille screws went. Oh well, I'll fix it out. I'm just glad I didn't take it to a "professional". Either they would have been calling me every 2 minutes saying "we found another problem and it's gonna cost another $XX" or they would have just put it together with the problems and not fixed things. The more I dig into this, the better I feel that I did it myself.

No idea if you'll see this (since it's so old) but, I just wanted to let you know that this 13+ year old post might have just solved my wiring issues too. Thanks 82Redo!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom