Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

82 vette- doesnt start and need help IDing this part...

eRiCdWoNg

Corvette
98 pewter mn6 coupe
Im helping a friend out with this one- 82 Corvette, crossfire injection. Now it doesnt even start. This might be a contributor to the culprit- this electrical box, pictured below was behind the passenger seat, where the tire jack etc is. It was taped up (dont ask hehe) and it fell down onto the metal tire jack and it shorted out. There was burnt parts on the circuit boards etc. We're not sure if this was
#1 what is this part
#2 how much
#3 what does it do?
#4 could it be contributing to the fact this c3 doesnt start?

Thanks.
Picture013.jpg

Picture018.jpg

I just went through my assembly manual and it doesn't have a picture or description of this part anywhwere. The closest harness assembly is the rear window defrost circuit.It may be a timer board and relay to turn the defrosters off.
I'm just guessing.
See if you find a part # on it somewhere. Maybe GM can look it up for you.

Pete.

Also,

The fuel pump relay is in that general area.. supposed to be mounted on the rear panel next to the ECM, that may be it. Check to see if his fuel pump is buzzing when the ignition is turned on.

Pete.

kinda looks like the horn relay to me. On my 73 it is located on the ds wheel well by the master cylinder. It does have "starter" realted wires connected, but Im not an expert on an 82...

eRiCdWoNg said:
Im helping a friend out with this one- 82 Corvette, crossfire injection. Now it doesnt even start. This might be a contributor to the culprit- this electrical box, pictured below was behind the passenger seat, where the tire jack etc is. It was taped up (dont ask hehe) and it fell down onto the metal tire jack and it shorted out. There was burnt parts on the circuit boards etc. We're not sure if this was
#1 what is this part
#2 how much
#3 what does it do?
#4 could it be contributing to the fact this c3 doesnt start?

Thanks.
Picture013.jpg

Picture018.jpg
I still don't know what it is, but I looked at my '82 and here's what I do know.
It isn't the fuel pump relay.
And the car does start without it. I unplugged mine and tried it. The car starts just fine.
I think it has something to do with the power antenna.

Pete.

Maybe some of us can walk you through troubleshooting to get it started, if you tell us what started the problem.

Pete.

OK I also posted this on corvetteforum- apparently it is the wiper motor relay....we'll see Im going to go over to the friends house and poke around for now....

eRiCdWoNg said:
OK I also posted this on corvetteforum- apparently it is the wiper motor relay....we'll see Im going to go over to the friends house and poke around for now....
yup, wiper/washer control module, it controls the washer function as well as the variable interval

Interesting. This module may also be my problem. My delay does not work BUT I have bigger problems. Here's whats going on with my 1982. When I start the car the idle surges....up and down....about 500 rpm. I was playing around the other day and pushed in the button (for fluid) on the wiper switch, my 25 amp fuse for my gauges blew (all gauges stopped working, tach, temp, gas, etc).... but the surging stopped. I replaced the fuse for the guages and the surging started again. I took out the fuse for the windshield wiper and started the car, pushed the wiper fluid button and the gauge fuse blew again. I replace the gauge fuse again...pulled the wiper fuse, disconnected the wires to the washer fluid pump, started the car...pushed the dreaded washer fluid button and again the guage fuse blew. anyway the car idles okay so long as that guaage fuse is out. So i have two questions. One, what does the washer fluid button on the wiper switch have to do with the guages and second what does the guage fuse have to do with my idle...

Any help would be appreciated.

jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom