Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: 84-87 headlight motor/actuator

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
84-87 Headlight Motors-Actuator-Limit Switch

Since nobody answered the original query .....
I'll rephrase the question..

In the early headlight actuator motor, what is the glass bulb inside the motor thats wired between the set of limit switche breaker points?

To refresh someones memory, the points are either side of a lever that moves along the axis of the motor shaft/armature. As the shaft torques up when the headlight hits the end of its travel, this pulls the shaft in one direction. The headlight running the other way makes it slide in the opposite direction to open the other set of points.
These 2 points are what tells the motor to stop and reverse direction the next time power is applied. Relays interrupt the power supply with the points as sensors.
One side has a glass bulb wired in the circuit. It's not a mercury switch, I don;t think anyway, so what is it?

I have pulled this frigging thing apart 5 times and cannot get the timing back in order,. the repaired door is 180 out of phase in its rotation. This was'nt the original problem...
I have made certain the shaft is free to slide both ways. I have filed the points and cleaned the commutator. The brushes are near shot but still contact well enough.

Does this bulb have something to do with the change in polarity? It's wired inline to only one set of breaker points.
The motor will run both directions, it's just 180 out of phase.

Any idea as to the function and purpose of the glass bulb?

The motor was disassembled due to partial opening or hanging up. There was dirt and trash in the gear binding it and causing early shut off. Cleaned, lubed and motor/gear assy spins freely now.

TIA

I am used to you supplying fixes for everyone's probs! FSM is boxed up so can't try to dig through that to help. There is a manual open for the headlights right--have you tried using that to sync them up? Wondered if the manual open would make them both open???? Just a shot in the dark.

I am used to you supplying fixes for everyone's probs! FSM is boxed up so can't try to dig through that to help. There is a manual open for the headlights right--have you tried using that to sync them up? Wondered if the manual open would make them both open???? Just a shot in the dark.

Thanks but its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond that. If I manually sync them, it will go right back out of phase the next time the lites are opened or closed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom