Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84-87 Rims question..

F

Future

I bought 4 16x8.5 rims off ebay and spent many hours polishing them and never checked to make sure the guy sold me 2 left and 2 right since there directional and I found out he gave me 3 Left and 1 Right when I went to mount them. So my quesiton is.. does it really matter if I put one on backwards and just turn the tire around so its at least going in the direction its supposed to. I am gonna try to hunt down another right rim in the mean time.
Thanks

Its a 93 TransAm by the way.. I wanted to be different with the wheels. :)

Dude

Rims aren't directional. Tires are directional.

(I'm assuming these are Corvette rims?)
Aside from the visual apearance their shouldn't be a problem with the driveability of the vehicle. The rims were designed so that air would be directed inward through the vents to help cool off the brakes when the car was moving forward at speed. I would mount the non-matching directional rim on the rear where the cooling isn't as necessary. Good luck.:)

There's no problem with building a Vette from the ground up. :D

Spiderman :w

sorry Drewser but the '84-'96 rims are directional.;)

Drew, I beg to differ. Certain wheels have a directional pattern to them; mine were installed incorrectly when I first got it. ;)

_ken :w

I would also beg to differ, the rims are directional. All you have to do is read the inside of the rim, it will tell you what side to run them on. When I got mine I noticed the fins were backwards on the front. I pulled the rims to find they were on the wrong side.
Spiderman is right, the fins were made to work in a direction that would force air over the rotors and brakes to cool them off.
Finally being an engineer I always believe there are reasons things are made the way they are, the rims were designed to work in a certain direction....they should be left that way...

Drewser there directional rims and tires that I got...

I am only gonna run the 1 rim in the wrong direction for now til I can find another right side rim. I spent way to much time polishing them and money on them to not at least mount them all. I just wanted to be sure something weird wasnt gonna happen runnin 1rim in the wrong direction :)\

Thanks

Alright, Future, those had better be Firebird emblems in the centers of those wheels! :)

Looks good.

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom