Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! '84 fuel line problems?

balljoints

Corvette
1984 coupe silver
My '84 was showing signs of a dying fuel pump / fuel delivery problems. I was getting a power lag while accelerating. It would pause for a second after i stepped on the gas when speeding up. It stalled on me a couple times and seemed to be getting worse by the day. I replaced the fuel filter, no improvement. Finally it died while I was driving yesterday and won't start. I put a new fuel pump in even though the old factory one was still making noise when I turned the key. Thought it might help but no cigar. No check engine light or anything coming up either.

Any diagnostic suggestions on those symptoms? Could it be the injectors or plugs?

EDIT:

I just replaced the spark plugs and the distributor cap and rotor, now it fires up for a second and then dies. can't get it to keep running.

Last edited:
Do you have a good spray pattern from both injectors during cranking and when the engine is "dying" on you?

I had a similar situation with my 84 when I first got it. The difference was that mine would start and never failed to start. I was having acceleration issues and when at a full stop it would miss very badly and if I remember correctly it did stall out a few times. I tried everything I could think of fuel filters, plugs and wires and sea foam but nothing worked or even helped.

I finally took it to one of the better shops in the area. They do not specialize in corvettes but one of the shops new and young employees at the time was pretty knowledgeable about corvettes. He had it diagnosed within an hour. It was the TB gasket. Finding just the TB gasket was hard so I purchased a complete head set. It was a good thing that I did because he had to replace a few other gaskets as well. After that it ran great and still does to this day.

Good Luck and maybe check it out.
Chas

also might wanna get a new adjustable fuel regulator and new diaphragm 65.00 off ebay, as they get older the spring diaphragm can weaken, and a adjustable one would let you adjust it unlike stock, you need 39 or more psi at the rail and it will drop while running ,if not enough pressure it will starve the motor, thats what mine was doing when i first got it, i got a new pump, sending unit and regulator , now im just having problems getting the stock regulator housing to seal as it is a high mileage car and the hardened seat is worn:mad
and am working grounding issues out , i wanna hear it run lol i just put new mufflers on it jones performance, flowmaster ones, as fm let their patent expire from what i have read, it sounded so sweet with out mufflers , just pipe to the rear, it was a lil loud or i woulda left them off:D lol

also might wanna get a new adjustable fuel regulator and new diaphragm 65.00 off ebay, as they get older the spring diaphragm can weaken, and a adjustable one would let you adjust it unlike stock, you need 39 or more psi at the rail and it will drop while running ,if not enough pressure it will starve the motor, thats what mine was doing when i first got it,

hotrod2, the OP's '84 is much different than your '85. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the TBI (throttle body injector) and the fuel pressure is more like 12-13 psi, not 39! And there is no "fuel rail". Thanks for trying, though.

:eyerole

hotrod2, the OP's '84 is much different than your '85. The fuel pressure regulator is built into the TBI (throttle body injector) and the fuel pressure is more like 12-13 psi, not 39! And there is no "fuel rail". Thanks for trying, though.

yes they are different i didnt know all 84's were tbi and all crossfire as well?

ok i just did some reading and it looks like the tpi was only in 85 and up, as this is my first corvette im not saying i know it all or anything like that , just offered a opinion
i thought there were tpi in 84 as well as the crossfire but it says 85 was introduction to the tpi
i have a tbi in my truck and it sucks for performance l
tbi 9-13 psi

the (tpi) 1/2 pint or more fuel in 15 seconds

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom