Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 hard to start

yitbos

Corvette
84 Coupe
Hopfully everyone can help with my hard starting problem as well. I've noticed over the last couple of days that my 84 will start and then second I give it some gas to raise the RPMs or even if I just let it sit at idle, it will die. It doesn't do this every time and I've noticed it has been hot out (90 degree) the last two days when it happend and the engine has been hot, after being driven 10 miles or so.

However, if I let it sit for 10 or 20 seconds, it will usually start up and I have to keep feathering the throttle to keep it running. Then it gets back into a normal pattern and runs properly.

I've heard commercials that auto zone has a code reader. Will that work with my 84 to see what errors it's giving? If not, how can I see what my errors are without that reader.

To make matters worse, the other day, some chuckle head bumped the fiberglass directly above the left front tire. It didn't break any of it it just tore off the paint and scratched it up pretty bad in a 1/2 inch by 2 inch section. Plus there are stress cracks around it too. Now I've got another project to work on as well. I'm taking it to the person who just painted the rear bumper for me last week. He has some left over paint and said he can do the simpler repair. What a day, what a day.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on the starting. This is two problems at once on an otherwise excellent vehicle. Plus, it's up for sale, so I really need to figure out what the problem is in case it gets sold.

Thanks,
John

First thing you need to do is visually check everything under the hood...look for broken or cracked vacuum hoses...look for worn electrical wires...check the egr valve make sure its working...check the doors in the air cleaner...make sure they are working...check for any vacuum leaks around the intake manifold...

The second thing...change the fuel filter under the car ..its under the passenger side seat on the rail.

Check the fuel injectors...they should not leak...unplug the two injectors and crank it over...no fuel should be seen...

With the injectors hooked back up...the two injectors should have a mirrored cone shaped flow...

John,

I'm betting it's a problem with the fuel pump or the pressure regulator. Take your air cleaner off and look to see what the spray pattern looks like on your injectors when you open the throttle as it's running. If they stop spraying or look like they are spitting, then it is probably the fuel pump. You can hook up a timing light to the #1 plug wire and aim the light on the injectors to "freeze" the pattern to get a better look at how the fuel is spraying.
Dying when hot is a common fuel pump failure. Let it sit for a while and it starts back up for a while longer, then dies again.

My 84 does the same thing. Seems like its flooding sorta. I've checked all the stuff suggested and still can't find anything. I have not replaced the fuel pump yet but think I will. If you find something please let me know.

Here is a quick update. As much as I HATE taking it to a dealer, that was the only choice it seemed. I have a good mechanic but he is past the airport and it's proably close to 20 miles to get there.

I'm just guessing here, but I think it could be a choke problem or something similar. It is running very, very rich. There is a lot of gasoline smell. Wouldn't you know, driving home tonight, someone on 465 had an accident that shut down the highway and all the on/off ramps. So it was side streets all the way home in bumper to bumper, very heavy traffic.

I'm not sure if that was a blessing or curse. The car stalled at least 5 times that I remember. I had to go from drive to neutral every time I slowed down, which means I did it a lot. If I were moving about 10 mph in traffic, it would start to die. So it went into neutral and I had to give it gas and do that carefully. Even at speed, it would want to die on me. I eventually got to a point where I could get to the dealership and I just got on the gas and after I hit 70, I just coasted as far as I could before the stop light or traffic caused me to stop again.

I've had the vehicle for 6 years. Within the last 5 it has had the fuel pump and the fuel filter removed. I'm not sure if they could fail that quickly again or if they could be the cause based on what I've described above. However, it's got to get fixed and I don't have the knowledge to do a lot of the other things that might be the cause. So I guess I'll get out the checkbook this time.

However, I'd still like to hear other ides on what could cause it so I can compare it to their diagnosis.

Oh, by the way, it didn't give me a check engine light, but the delaership charges 85 dollars just to hook the computer up and read for codes. Man I wish I had that deal.

John

You only need a paper clip to get the codes...The ALDL is just above your knee when you sit in the drivers seat...take the paper clip and bend it into a u shape...Jump the two connectors in the upper right. A & B...turn the car on and count the flashes on the dash (check engine Light) you will get a code 12 three times...flash...flash.flash......flash...flash.flash......flash...flash.flash......then you will get a different set of any stored codes....when it is complete...you will get anothe three sets of 12 codes....tell us what codes (if any) are stored.

gm-aldl-connector.gif

John,

Keeping in mind that the 84 has the Cross-fire engine, there are some things that need to be checked by a mechanic.
With the fact that you are smelling gas, it means that you are running rich or that there is a leak in the fuel delivery system.
I would be helpful to know if you smell it at the tail pipe or in the engine compartment.

If it's in the engine compartment, it could be a bad Evap.cannister, line or Evap.valve, or a bad gasket on the intake or throttle body for the fuel injectors.

If it's at the tailpipe, it could be a bad AIC motor, or TPS sensor.

There is no choke on the Cross-fire system, it's all electronic fuel injection. If something is out of adjustment or the IAC motors are stuck it will not idle right. A bad TPS sensor will throw a code.
ALDL CODES.
Code 21 TPS voltage high.
Code 22 TPS voltage low.
Code 13 O2 sensor.
Code 44 lean exhaust condition
Code 45 rich exhaust condition
Code 33 MAP sensor too low
Code 34 MAP sensor too high.

wishuwerehere82 said:
John,

Keeping in mind that the 84 has the Cross-fire engine, there are some things that need to be checked by a mechanic.
With the fact that you are smelling gas, it means that you are running rich or that there is a leak in the fuel delivery system.
I would be helpful to know if you smell it at the tail pipe or in the engine compartment.

If it's in the engine compartment, it could be a bad Evap.cannister, line or Evap.valve, or a bad gasket on the intake or throttle body for the fuel injectors.

If it's at the tailpipe, it could be a bad AIC motor, or TPS sensor.

There is no choke on the Cross-fire system, it's all electronic fuel injection. If something is out of adjustment or the IAC motors are stuck it will not idle right. A bad TPS sensor will throw a code.
ALDL CODES.
Code 21 TPS voltage high.
Code 22 TPS voltage low.
Code 13 O2 sensor.
Code 44 lean exhaust condition
Code 45 rich exhaust condition
Code 33 MAP sensor too low
Code 34 MAP sensor too high.
Damn Pete, you were wide awake!!:L junk!!

Has anyone recently tried to adjust the Throttle Bodies? If so then I would bet they are out of sync. You would need someone who knows the Cross Fire well to set them up properly. Once the TB's are out of sync these cars will not run very well.

Unfortunately there aren't any mechanics that know and love the Crossfire. (That work on other peoples cars anyway). Crossfire Forum is where you can get help on fixing it yourself.

Check back at your other post for the most liekly causes of your dilemma.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom