Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 Horn/Alarm system problem

84BlueOnBlue

My "new" 84 is having a problem that I can't seem to track down.
For the first 2 weeks I owned it, the alarm system seemed to work fine. I used the electronic door lock to lock the door as I got out, shut the door, and the alarm system seemed to function correctly (tested by reaching through the window and opening the door and the alarm went off as expected).
After the first couple weeks, when I set the alarm system, it seems to set and then after 10 minutes to several hours the alarm starts sounding (horns going beep, beep, etc). Unlocking the door with the key would shut off the alarm.
I thought that I'd just not set the alarm system and lock the doors so it would be locked only. That worked for a few days and now when I do that, after 10 minutes or so, the horn starts sounding continuously with one long beep. Unlocking the door with the key has no effect and the horn sounds continuously. The only way I can get it to stop is to pull the connectors on the horns.

I'm out of fixes/tests. The door/rear glass switches seem to be working (the lights inside go out after 30 seconds and stay off).

Has anyone had similar problems and if so, what were the fixes?
I'd appreciate any info/suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Richard

My alarm system is just so lame......going to disconect and get an aftermarket system......haven't figured out which one yet....but you can be sure it won't be as troublesome as the stock setup on my '84...
tony

My stock system worked much better than the aftermarket, which was installed by a first class shop!

I wish I had the documentation to go back to stock.

Lemme look in the troubleshooting manual to see if there's anything.

:w
Mike

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom