Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'84 Intake Gaskets

G

geeky_bill

Has anyone used Fel-Pro gaskets on their '82 or '84 CFI intake? I had an "82 Z28 with CFI and when I used Fel-Pro intake gaskets it would foul the plugs in about a week. When I used McCord or GM gaskets, I never had a problem. I need to put the intake back on my "84 and wonder if anybody has used Fel-Pro.

Thanks

...Bill

Hi Bill!!!!

I have not any experience with the different gaskets to which you refer. However, I'm a bit observant and see that this is your very first post..

Welcome to the forum!!!! Here's to ya!! :beer Enjoy.

Bill,

Felpro is all I use on my 84 intake. The others seem to want to suck in across the back. I have not had any problems with fouled plugs. Is your EGR valve working ok? I had it to cause plug fouling before.

Dave

Fel Pro

Bill:

Welcome to the CACC.

My son is a circle track racer and his partner builds engines for a living. When they rebuilt my 86 L98 they specified a Fel Pro gasket kit. They use Fel Pro in every engine they build.

I have had no problems,

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

No I didn't have an EGR problem, it worked OK. The fouling plug problem was on a Camaro with CFI that I used to have. Twice I used Fel-Pro intake gaskets and twice I had a problem with fouling spark plugs. Once I replaced them with GM gaskets and once with McCord(per the advice of a local GM tech), neither of which gave me a problem. I recently bought an '84 Vette (also CFI of course) and had to pull the intake. I just didn't want to run into the same problem.

Thanks for the welcome and advice.

No I didn't have an EGR problem, it worked OK. The fouling plug problem was on a Camaro with CFI that I used to have. Twice I used Fel-Pro intake gaskets and twice I had a problem with fouling spark plugs. Once I replaced them with GM gaskets and once with McCord(per the advice of a local GM tech), neither of which gave me a problem. I recently bought an '84 Vette (also CFI of course) and had to pull the intake. I just didn't want to run into the same problem.

Thanks again!

...Bill

.oO(afterthought: I guess once I get this thing going, I will have to quit using my "geek" nickname! haha. Although I'm thinking of personalized plates: "NERDBOY")

I will attempt to attach a picture to show you all. I picked this one up for $4700! It just needs a little mechanical TLC.

Your spark plug fouling problem sounds like you didn't get a good seal between the intake port and the lifter valley. I recently used Fel Pro on my 90 without any problems, even with aluminum heads which expand differently then the block. I also used a very thin dressing of Permatex Hylomar on the both sides of the gasket and Permatex "Right Stuff" for the end seals. Have the heads or the intake been ported or gasket matched? Is yes, this will lessen the gasket contact surface and may result in leaks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom