Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84 power boost

Heyblue

Corvette
After reading many posts as to how to increase HP on the rather wimpy 84's I was thinking, does the later model engines which boosted the the HP fit? What are the issues?
Thanks

Check.

What would the money buy?
For example, does the computer need to be replaced? if so wiring harness? are these available? just how hard would it be to make such a conversion? being I live in CA how would it affect my next scheduled smog check?
does the accessories just bolt up or is that going to be a problem to make conversions.
trying to decided best way to increase the power, or maybe just accept what I have.

Best bet is to find a nice later model, low miles garage queen that has been totaled. I'd get everything I could from the donor, especially the computer and harness. In the long run it's cheaper to replace than to cobble up the original.

Best bet is to find a nice later model, low miles garage queen that has been totaled. I'd get everything I could from the donor, especially the computer and harness. In the long run it's cheaper to replace than to cobble up the original.

So if I understand you correctly, replacing the 84 with a later model is doable provided I get the computer and harness to match?

So if I understand you correctly, replacing the 84 with a later model is doable provided I get the computer and harness to match?

Full disclosure - I have never worked on a TPI for TBI, but I have seen quite a few. All of them I can remember had later model computer and harness.

As for the CA smog laws, that MAY be a problem. Although the late model motor will, undoubtedly be cleaner, it wasn't certified for the specific car model. I'd check.

On the other hand, you could do a lot of good stuff to the 84 motor for less money and grief. Check the forum posts of "Kane." He kicked an 82 crossfire pretty hard, and has a nice runner. I'm sure he would answer questions too.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom