Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

84' Stereo

E

Edge950

I have the original stereo and speakers in my 84' Corvette but for some reason the left side speakers dont work and there is no balance knob that i can tell do you know what might be causing this and if i can fix it?

Could be dead amp

I have 2 front speakers
and a head unit from my 84 ( for sale cheeeeep )
Ill bet that the amps in the speakers are blown.
The front speakers are a BEAR to get out, so try replacing the rear first to see if the head unit is at fault.

Are the volume, bass & treble controls "crunchy"?
Meaning when you run the controls up and down all the way do you get static?
When I first got mine, it was that way then the left started working again.

Mike

Yes it is static like that so whats that mean?

What's up Edge950. Your radio is bad. If you're turning the knobs and getting static, your radio is probably the cause of all your problems. Since you have an '84 you can replace the delco with an aftermarket unit with no sweat.

Frank

Edge950

You can also get the head unit rebuilt. Most good stereo shops can handle the job. It should only take a couple of days and cost about $100 or so. Same for the amps. If you can get the door ones out they can be tested and repaired. I have had to do this several times with several of the C4 models we have owned.

I would prefer an aftermarket myself, especially if you enjoy listening to compact discs. I have four bose stereos in my shop. Don't even know why I am holding on to them. The Gold series with the cassett and disc in the 90 does an adequate job. It is very sensative and tends to pick up other electrical current from time to time and make whinny noises. I have had that head unit rebuilt twice, the control/receiver once, and replaced the rear speakers and amps. When it is working, it is a nice unit.

Good luck,

Chris

Another idea would be to buy the bose radio and two speakers that I have for sale in excellent shape $250.00 and the problem goes away. Or I have a delco unit that was rebuilt for $100.00 and the problem goes away and you still have money for Xmas.:xmas

Gixxer1 said:
What's up Edge950. Your radio is bad. If you're turning the knobs and getting static, your radio is probably the cause of all your problems. Since you have an '84 you can replace the delco with an aftermarket unit with no sweat.

Frank

Frank,

I have heard recently people mentioning that the 84 is somehow easier.....but when we did ours we still needed a sound converter.........ours is early...did they change the design mid year or are you withholding a secret we didnt know about...c'mon...spill it! We would like to add it to our website! :)
Thanks!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom