Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 4+3 3rd gear off throttle stick vibration

BlueCorvette

Corvette
1985 two tone blue Z51 4+3
I have an 85 with the 4+3. I'm getting an off throttle vibration in 3rd gear. The stick will violently start shaking like it's coming out of gear. As soon as I touch the gas it goes away. Shifting is smooth and no grinding.

I had the transmission out, and when I put it back in, I used a gauge tool in the side of the shifter for alignment so I could adjust the linkages.

The OD seems to work fine. I have the first gear switch shorted so I can control it with the console switch.

I didn't have this problem before, and I set the linkages according to the FSM specs.

Could this be as simple as a slightly out of adjustment linkage? If I wasn't completely in 3rd gear wouldn't I have other problems on the gas?

Worn 3rd gear synchro?

Any ideas?

Thanks

BlueCorvette

Corvette
1985 two tone blue Z51 4+3
I was playing with the 3/4 gear lever on the transmission. I think the ball detent in 3rd has a problem. I detached the shift linkage pin for that gear and I can push lever into 3rd. But I can also push it slightly past the detent, and then when I release the lever it rocks back into the detent. I think the 3/4 lever mechanism on the side plate is worn and off throttle it is vibrating a little past 3rd and then into the detent. I'll have to take the side plat off and look.

DonB

Corvette
2019 ZO6 in Elkhart Lake Blue
Could the detent spring be worn or broken? I'm NOT familiar with the 4+3, but I've seen worn detent balls and broken detent springs in other transmissions. If it "goes in" easier than the 1-2, I'd look at the springs, etc.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom