Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

85 vette all stock starting mods?????

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
I have a black 85 vette that is completely stock, right down to the original exhaust system. I am starting to mod this thing. I am starting with a K&N filter, and I will cut the air filter lid. I'm looking for mufflers, which ones to buy?

I also have a superram and a scoggin dickey TPI vortec intake manifold, I would like to incorporate it into this car some how. I will need vortec heads and a cam, which cam to get?

With a 350 engine and a superram, should I get a 52mm or 58mm TB?

If anybody has some TPI stuff lying around let me know I will give you $$$, well maybe only $$.

Depends on how much you want to spend. Cut the filter lid and install the K&N, I would ditch the vortec manifold and keep the super ram on the stock heads with a 58mm throttle body and a set of headers with a full cat back.
What is your budget?

I want to spend as little as possible. I bought the car for $4300.00 and it is in great shape except for the rear carpet and console door. But the engine runs strong and the trans is in good shape, shifts are crisp, the trans has been rebuilt and a shift kit was installed, I can tell because when I go over 100 mph and try to reach top speed it kicks down into 3rd when the peddle is to the floor, it must be a Z28 shift kit.

Anybody have parts they don't want?

Example: old air foil, or a chip, I will give you $$.

if you want to spend as little as possible, then replace the vortech lower base with a standard tpi aftermarket base (look on the parts for sale in various car forums) and ebay. I would put the headers on along with a matching front y-pipe and cat back. Should set you back ~$1K to $1500.

85 vette mods update!

K&N $23 ebay

test pipe(replaces catilytic convertor) $54 ebay

TPI MAT relocating wiring kit $35 ebay

TPI throttle body coolant bypass kit $11.95 ebay

looking for more cheap parts?

underdrive pulleys- are they worth it?
air pump replacement pulley?
air foil?
fuel pressur regulator?
chip?
TB spacer?
throttle performance switch?
mufflers?

I used to be the type of person that would open a mid america magazine, and look to the performance section. I would basically add up all the hp gains for each product and eventually i thought if i bought all them i would add 100 hp to the motor.

I came to reality a while ago. You have too look at the products that make sense to add hp. None of those things will register on the butt dyno. However they are mods that you can do easily and can be done with no ill effects.

I am not a fan of the throttle switch, and if you read some chip sellers they will say not to use it. The best thing you can do from the list you have yet added would probably be the underdrive pulleys and a good cat back system.

This is not to say that the others shouldn't be done. If you look at my signature, you will see everything thing I have done with no regrets.

I'm doing these easy mods first, it is summer and I don't want to tear it apart and have it parked. I am testing these cheap mods to see what they will do, then I will go back on here and complain about them like everyone else.

Which vortec heads to get? I already have a scoogin dickey tpi intake.

I just ordered a hypertech stage 2 and a 160 stat. $145

Now looking for cheap pulley kit?

looking for more cheap parts?

underdrive pulleys- are they worth it? Yes, get the ASP crank pulley.
air pump replacement pulley? yes
air foil? No
fuel pressur regulator? Yes
chip? yes
TB spacer? No
throttle performance switch? No
mufflers? Yes

See my answers in the above quote.

K&N $23
test pipe $54
mat relocate kit $35
coolant bypass TB $11.95
air foil $26chip $145

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom