Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 Hood on a 92?

Ryan6-speed

Corvette
1992 Black 6-spd coupe, 99 Black 6-spd Convertible
Does anyone out there know if an 86 hood will fit on a 92 vette? I found a good deal on an 86 hood, but I don't know if it will fit my LT-1 car. Is the hood prop the only difference? I understand that the prop can be made to fit? HELP!!!! NEED MORE INFO!!
Thanks.

The only thing I know of is that an 84 hood is different because the CFI

I am not an expert but I think it should work.

Look closely at the inner fender stuff on the hood and make sure they will seal with the lower fender parts on the 92. You may have to change out these parts to make it fit.

I also believe that the 86 and 92 have different strut configurations.

I am pretty sure the hood stayed the same, 85-96. they even left parts on the newer hoods they didn't use anymore (like the brackets for the small gas shocks) and they left the seals the same (the LT1/4 cars still have the seal designed to fit around the L98 plenum)

The only thing I noticed between my 86 and 95 was the weight of the hood. It may be just balance, but the 86 seemed heaver when opened and closed.

Brett

Check out the photos in the Tech Center, Gallery section here. There are photos of the 86 and 92 engine area that include the lower part of the hood.

The inner fender panels are different between them so the seals will not line up without changing the ones on the hood to the 92 parts.

The strut is on the passenger side of the 86 and on the driver side of the 92. You'll need to change out the brackets for that also.

The head light rotating mechanics are probably different also. Mid-America lists the 84-87 and having different systems than the 88-96.

So, there are lots of differences between a complete hood for each car. Does that mean that a bare 86 will not fit on a 92, I don't know! It depends on whether the mounting holes for all the different parts are the same.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom