Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

86 interior lights

T

tdr1919

My interior lights operate only when I rotate the headlight switch or
press the side panel light on the door. If I open the doors they will not come on. I tested the door switch, infact when you open the door the door ajar
light illuminates on the control panel - any ideas?
Tom R.

The 'interior light control module' under the dash may be shot. Does your hatch open correctly with all three remote buttons? IIRC that functionality is also controlled by this module. It's taped up by the ECU on the passenger side and is a small black box about 2" x 2" x 1/2" plugged into a large socket. I've blown two of them so far, and they're impossible to find replacements for. You can pull the module and remove the circuit board inside; if something is bad, I believe it's usually a blown capacitor and quite visible. If that is indeed your problem, I can dig up some instructions on repairing it youself that were posted on another Vette forum.
[RICHR]

I've also found that the door switches are tricky, They may have multiple connectors. Just because one function works doesn't mean the switch isn't still the culprit for other functions !
Door switches are also cheap and easy to replace, and new ones will "set" themselves correctly regarding the distance adjustment needed to activate them.
HTH

The 'interior light control module' under the dash may be shot. Does your hatch open correctly with all three remote buttons? IIRC that functionality is also controlled by this module. It's taped up by the ECU on the passenger side and is a small black box about 2" x 2" x 1/2" plugged into a large socket. I've blown two of them so far, and they're impossible to find replacements for. You can pull the module and remove the circuit board inside; if something is bad, I believe it's usually a blown capacitor and quite visible. If that is indeed your problem, I can dig up some instructions on repairing it youself that were posted on another Vette forum.
[RICHR]

thanks Rich, I think you hit on it! the hatch switches do not work properly either. I'm a electronic tech, so I'm handy with a soldering iron. any info on repairing would help.

Grr. I cannot find the file I saved that describes what to repair, other than one which says "look for and replace any burnt capacitors." I did find mention that Forum member Eagle85C4 repairs these, and also jeff@rsmail.com (if he's still active). Sadly, these came from older posts of MINE :)

I'll keep looking for that other document which lists the cap part number. I also have my spare module sitting here (which I *think* works) and I can reference stuff off of it if you need.
[RICHR]

Grr. I cannot find the file I saved that describes what to repair, other than one which says "look for and replace any burnt capacitors." I did find mention that Forum member Eagle85C4 repairs these, and also jeff@rsmail.com (if he's still active). Sadly, these came from older posts of MINE :)

I'll keep looking for that other document which lists the cap part number. I also have my spare module sitting here (which I *think* works) and I can reference stuff off of it if you need.
[RICHR]
Rich,
I pulled the board and it appears to be the transistor device attached to the
heat sink, I believe it is a voltage regulator but that is just a guess, i have to source a component, looks like GE 8516
Thanks,
Tom R

Well, I searched the other forum for the interior light delay and found a link for a C3 fix, I figured right about the transistor, and found some replacement
#'s for a NPN transistor, but it still didnt work properly, I eventually pulled
the transistor and jumped pin 1 to pin 4 (the white wires) Bingo! all works
interior lights the door panel switches for the hatch (the door switches didnt work before), I just do not have the 30 second delay, when you close the
doors the lights go out! - not worth spending another nickel on this - time to move on to bigger & better things like the windshield washer circuit (pump is fine I think it is in the logic on the wiper control board)
Thanks everybody for your input!
Tom R

me too

I have the exact problem. I located a relay under the dash. I think it has 3 prongs. Am I barking up the right tree? It did not seem to be servicable. thanks

No prongs. I think you found the flasher relay (turn signals, etc). This is a flat black box about 2" on a side with no prongs or anything.
[RICHR]

relay

Thanks for your response. I found the relay and took it apart. I pushed the relay together (looks like a set of points) I had nothing happen. I jumped the wires and could hear the latch release. Of course I popped a fuse. I would think that I should be able to makes the lights come on by jumping them. I don't know..tha old girl is getting pretty tired. 150,000 miles and it willo still light them up..lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom