Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 C4 Corvette Spare Tire

DarbyOhara

Corvette
1987 Corvette C4 Silver Coupe/Targa
Another troublesome issue I have. I purchased my 87 Vette and it came with no spare tire. It just had the empty spare tire unit hanging and making a lot of noise. So I removed it. But after trying to research, I found that the spare tire on the C4 is part of the rear collision and apparently without it, a rear collision could possibly cause more damage. So I plan to clean up the spare tire holding unit and replace it with a new spare tire. But I can see it is not the normal size tire, but it is also not a donut type either from my research online. But no one really gives details of what the spare tire is (or size). Since mine came without the spare, I have nothing to compare it to. Can someone give me some details about the spare tire in a 1987 C4 please. I see no online store that sells just the spare... so I am stumped. My Clymer shop manual doesn't seem to cover any details of the spare tire except to check in as part of the maintenance.

There are some for sale on ebay. I am sure you might find some in junk yard

I was hoping for some details on the rim and tire... I realize that there a few on ebay. But I'd rather not pay the ridiculous prices they want for a simple spare tire, plus the shipping for a heavy item. It would be easier to either find the proper size rim and have a tire mounted. That's all I needed. Can anyone give me the detail size of the rim at least. My owners manual or shop manual doesn't give details. Thanks.

I can't remember the last time I saw one in a junk yard that doesn't specialize in Vettes. I don't know for sure, but it may be a model specific wheel, and, if that's the case, you'll have to pony up for the going rate. Or, you can pick one up at a big swap meet like Corvettes at Carlisle. I've seen them while roaming the rows on several occasions.

I checked my spare the tire, size is 155/70-17 there wasn't anything on the rim to indicate the rim width or anything else

Thanks everyone for trying to help. I really rather not pay the high price for a simple spare tire off the Internet or ebay... and since there are little details, I suppose I could call one of the Chevy dealers service dept and see if they would be willing to find the details for me. Of course, it's not everyday that you get a service dept person willing to be helpful. Otherwise, I guess I can live without the spare. Since I removed the spare tire holder, it does look rather naked back there and shows more of the exhaust pipes and such. Anyway, thanks for all your help.

The actual size of the spare is T155/80D16 (16x4)

for anyone else with the same question. I think it might be hard to find at just any tire store, but I haven't inquired yet.

The actual size of the spare is T155/80D16 (16x4)

for anyone else with the same question. I think it might be hard to find at just any tire store, but I haven't inquired yet.

I don't know if it's fact, but I've been told that tire has been out of production for many years. If you find one in a tire store, it would be wise to check the production date just to be sure you know what you're buying. I guess even an old spare is better than none.

I checked with tire rack. In my size spare, 155/70-17 they have some. Continental is $179 and back ordered Goodyear is $239. and in stock. I may have to replace my spare it is starting to get cracks in the sidewall It may give you some reference for your size

The size isn't that uncommon, but getting it in load range "D" may be problematical.

The size isn't that uncommon, but getting it in load range "D" may be problematical.

What do you mean by that? Does that mean clearing the ground after placing the spare on the vehicle... since the spare's seem to be a donut for the C4?

What do you mean by that? Does that mean clearing the ground after placing the spare on the vehicle... since the spare's seem to be a donut for the C4?

Load range refers to the amount of weight that can be safely carried by a tire.

It's actually a spare wheel.......Roger.

Gosh Roger... I am reading the original manual that came with my 87 vette and page 3 shows a diagram of the components of the whole car. I'll give you ONE guess what they call the spare tire? NO! it is NOT wheel, it is called SPARE TIRE Roger. I can scan the page for you since I am sure you don't believe me. Or, why not open your own owner's manual and read it for yourself. And if you go to a tire store and ask for a spare tire... they know what it is. If you say spare wheel, they think you are referring to the spare without the tire...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom