Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 designed cooling temp

S

smith1ch

Just purchased an 87 roadster - deal I couldn't pass up - It is my first vette and I was wondering what the designed operating temp should be and when the fan kicks in - I know, you've all been asked this question a million times but I can't seem to find the spec on line anywhere. Also could you point me in the right direction for a favored parts supply house.

Thanks
cgs

My 87 fans kick on about 185 and the car typically runs 190 on the road and up to 210 in traffic.

Stock factory settings programmed in are approx 225F main fan and 228F 2nd fan (if fitted).
GM designed them to run hot for emission purposes.

Factory design on the '88 is for the fan to come on at 230. It rarely gets that hot unless in heavy stop and go traffic. I would think the '87 would be the same.

Thanks guys - I thought I had a problem - to hot for my liking though - anyone know if there is a 200 deg relay available - Part #?

Main fan is controlled by the the ECM.
Can either get chip reprogrammed to turn fan on earlier
or wire aftermarket switch into fan relay circut so switch turns on fan while still having ECM control at stock setting if switch fails.
Can also do above with manual switch that lets you turn on fans when you want while still having stock settings in "auto " mode.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom