Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

87 Doug Nash 4+3 locked up

ChimpWithWrench

Sorry if its been asked i could not find it in a seach. My 87 4+3 is stuck. I got it this way, was looking for a project and something new to learn. Anyway, when the shifter is in reverse the reverse lights are on but it wont move. When its in netruel or any other gear, the reverse lights are still on and if you let off the clutch slightly it starts to grind gear. It's pretty much immobile at the moment. Not sure if there is a solution short of pulling the tranny and have it looked over. Is there anything else to check as it's my first corvette. TIA

Get the car up in the air so you can check the shift linkage. Be sure the car is very well supported before you go under it. BE SAFE!
Do the trans. levers and rods have good bushings? Does the shift lever put the trans. levers in the right positions, or is anything stuck? Good luck!!

:w

Kinda frustrated at the moment. After pulling the shifter out I was able to move all the linkage without trouble. I disassembled the shifter, cleaned, greased and re installed it and while it the action of the shifter is great im still having trouble getting out in and out of reverse, mostly out. It gets stuck and seems like the shifter in not going to its neutral position my a fraction of an inch and therefore it will not come out of reverse. it seems like the linkage is bottoming out before the shifter plate gets lined up with the rest of the interlocking plates. Could it be a bent fork or could it just need an adjustment on the other end of the linkage.

Also if someone could point me to diagrams, videos, or pictures of this specific shifter setup I would greatly appreciate it. Seems like all I can find is pre C4 4 speed info and post c4 6 speed info. Nothing related to shifter inside car not attached to the transmission stuff. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom