Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 Startup problems and SES

R

Reboot

Hello everyone. This is a great resource and I have learned a lot here by reading. This is my first post. I have an '88 with (yes!) 27+K original miles. Here is the problem:

When cold, it consistently takes 3-4 cranks before the engine starts. When started, it does idle rough for a moment and gets a SES light, code 34. However, it seems to be running fine and when warm, it will crank again with no problem and no SES. Code 34 represents the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Originally I thought it was a fuel related problem and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump (sigh) and fuel pump relay. I had a mechanic type friend mention the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, which is a lot less than MAFS. However, no go; same symptoms, same performance (which seems OK).

After reading a lot here, I've seen posts about replacing the MAFS relay and burn-off relay. I'm close to doing this, but decided to finally post here before spending anymore money or time on it.

I haven't seen any posts similar to my problem with the code 34 and trouble cranking when cold combo. Any suggestions before replacing the releys? I think the relays are the same as the fuel pump relay, so I may be able to try swapping with the old (still working) one before buying. That mass air flow sensor is rather expensive and I don't want to replace it if not needed. I did pull it and inspect it and it looks fine. Also, I read to tap on the MAF sensor when running and see if the idle changes. It does not (although I may not be "testing" is correctly).

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any suggestions!

When my brother bought his 87 vert, with only 50k miles, he had a similar problem. We checked the code and it was the same as you are getting. We switched his MAF with mine and there was no change. So we looked further into the problem. We eventually came to the conclusion the relays were bad. They are less then 20 bucks. They are located behind the battery. It took about 30 minutes to change. It corrected the problem. Once again he had the same problem as you are having. I hope you get it figured out.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum.

Craig

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom