Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 torx bolt configuration?

badabing9

Corvette
greetings,

here is a stupid question and a most embarrasing one. i am going to do both rear bearings and u-joints on my 88 as i have been hearing a couple of "clicks" on the passenger side last week. i have realy only dealt with "standard" fasteners but, not torx of any sort. i would rather have my tools in front of me when i start to do the tear-down.
so, in the is the "head" of the torx bolts similar to that as a standard/metric bolt that would require a socket be placed "over and onto it" OR "inserted into the center of it" ?.........thanks.

badabing9 said:
greetings,

here is a stupid question and a most embarrasing one. i am going to do both rear bearings and u-joints on my 88 as i have been hearing a couple of "clicks" on the passenger side last week. i have realy only dealt with "standard" fasteners but, not torx of any sort. i would rather have my tools in front of me when i start to do the tear-down.
so, in the is the "head" of the torx bolts similar to that as a standard/metric bolt that would require a socket be placed "over and onto it" OR "inserted into the center of it" ?.........thanks.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask....there's ALWAYS something or somebody to learn from.

You'll need a special Torx socket, similar to Allen sockets, but with a star pattern. The socket goes into the center of the bolt (into the "hole"). Be sure you have a quality set of Torx sockets, though, as it's easy to strip out the fasteners. My personal choice is Snap-On, but Craftsman is just fine for DIY'ers. Stay away from Horror Freight or any of the "discount" type tools on these. Hope this helps!

AdvancedAutoCC said:
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask....there's ALWAYS something or somebody to learn from.

You'll need a special Torx socket, similar to Allen sockets, but with a star pattern. The socket goes into the center of the bolt (into the "hole"). Be sure you have a quality set of Torx sockets, though, as it's easy to strip out the fasteners. My personal choice is Snap-On, but Craftsman is just fine for DIY'ers. Stay away from Horror Freight or any of the "discount" type tools on these. Hope this helps!

thanks much for the reply and clarification!! it would seem that it would help prevent any stripping of the fastener if the socket and boul head configuration were designed to fit aroung the bolt head instead of inside it.ok, on my way to the store!....thanks again!

Sure your bearings and joints need to be done? Is this where the clicking came from? How many miles on her?

Remember that Liquid Wrench and a heat torch are your friends!

back again,

clicking noice appears to be coming from right rear of car and have only heard it 4-5 times in the past month but most recently, in the last week.

the car is an 88 with 72k miles on it and has been well maintained. i have not looked through all the maintenancce records that came with the car but, none the less, i will do the complete rear end for piece of mind.

when i first got my 81, i did every darn thing on it including all the bushings for that very same piece of mind. so, here i am again. i have a horror that if i lose a wheel bearing or u-joint, that a half shalf will "detach at one end" and grind up part of the body of my car or, the car will fall to the ground (so-to-speak) and do extensive damage.

i have map gas torches, pb blaster (by the 55 gallon drum...grin), air tools. and bought the sockets i needed today. i was going to tackle this this w/e but, rain is in the forcast so, sometime next week is d-day.

opps!..sorry for the mis-spellings!.....i think i had better turn on a light here!

greetings all,

well, as i suspected...rain. oh well however, this gives me another chance to ask another question about rear bearing / hub assembly in my 88. i have looked at he helms manual and it is not all that clear. so, i will asked here to those whom have done this already.

1. i raise the car up on stands and remove the wheels.
2. remove the brakes/calipers.
3. remove the rotor

i have read thread after thread about how next to proceed.

1. do i have to take loose a rear "tie rod" and for what purpose?
2. i realize that i have to remove the u-joint strap to drop the wheel end of
the half shaft. (i will be removing the entire half shaft to do all except the
main drive shaft u-joints.)

***i have concerns as to the speed sensor attached at the wheels. i have also noticed that there are some "teeth" on at near the rear spindle that the speed sensor has something to do with.

1. are these "teeth" attached to or part of the rear spindle?
2. do i have to "fool" with the speed sensor or these "teeth" and in what
way?

i have a helms manual and even my 81 helms left a lot to be desired in diagrams or instruction and i have found some of their directions to have been omitted or wrong as pertaining to my 81.

1. do you recommend i put loc-tite on all the threads i encounter during
reassembly?
........................................thanks again!
ps, i probably would not ask these questions if i had been under the car yet but, as of yet, i haven't!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom