Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

88 Valve Cover Restoration

McSnagg

Corvette
1988 Triple Black Convertible Z52 4+3
I have the common problem of "stained brown" OE valve covers and want to restore to their original color. Does anyone have experience as to what process worked well and has held up? Any tips for the removal of the covers?

Thanks!:w

I have read most of the prior posts. Lots of different approaches.

Is it necessary or recommended to use primer if painting?

Has anyone tried powder coating to seal up the porous magnesium?

Thanks again.

There are quite a few people that have refurbished their valve covers, their first-hand experience will probably answer your question as far as priming/powder coating the covers.

B17Crew
:w

I did mine about 3 years ago. Removal is easy. I re routed my wires when I did it and got matching car color looms. It looks great. I will have to take a picture. However I didnt use a good quality paint from one of the "big" Corvette Part Places. After 2 years it began to flake. I bought some paint from Ecklers and am going to redo this year.

I would recommend stripping the paint. The spray is easy, I followed one of the threads. Sprayed on, let it sit for 15min and used a plastic trowel (you will need 2 sizes, Med and small) to take the paint off. Make sure you do it outside in the yard and wear protective equipment. Your covers will come out clean and rather wierd looking, very rough metal. Then a simple valve cover primer spray, and then the paint.

It is a very easy task. If you start in the morning, you can have the covers on by the next morning (most primers recommend a 24 hour drying time).

Actually the thread B17 put up is the one I followed. It worked out great and sealed the covers well. Again I recommend getting the paint from a Corvette Store and not a chain store. I went cheap and now have to redo. Cant tell you about powder coating.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom