Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

89 dash blinking, any suggestions?

P

plasticman

Hi,
My '89 dash works for awhile then the 4 backlights go out and the turn signal indicators and the high beam indicator come on. I drive for a few miles and then they flip back on. Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this. I had to replace the backlights recently, and made sure all the connections were tight when I put the cluster back in. What gives???
Thanks in advance for any help.
Ben

Typical problem with this style of dash. You can send it in and pay several hundred dollars $400to $500 or more. OR you can fix it yourself

If you have not done this yet, you will have to...

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/removing_ip.htm

There is alternative solutions, such as grounding a sensor that is in the footwell.

If you hit the above link, you may think this is a difficult procedure. Just take your time and I believe you will be happy with the results. This in the long run will make your dash perform the way it came from the factory.

I've had a similar ut less annoying problem for several years. I've noticed it gets worse in hotter weather. Have you noticed a temp effect? In cold weather it's also darker at night. Since the instrument lights are regulated by ambient light too I wonder if that feature can be related to the problem. If you shine a light directly into the ambient light sensor - do the lights come on or brighten?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom