Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Warning! 90-96: Check rear storage for water!!

So Bay Vetter

Corvette
1996 Collector LT4
After washing the car, I was backing down my driveway when the speakers started to get static. After perusing the FSM, I decided to check the radio reciever under the rear storage bin. Not only was the whole area wet (insulation under carpet), the bottom of the bin had at least a quart of water in it!!:duh It was enough to reach the receiver when I backed down the driveway and ZAP! Judging by the corrosion on the receiver, there's been water in the bottom of the bin for some time.

Just a heads up for you guys, it wouldn't hurt to check; if you pull out the jack and lift the foam piece, you can feel for water under it.

I've got the receiver in the oven on low to see if I can dry it out and save it. As near as I can figure, water is from the rear window drains I added a few years back. I think they've been draining into the car. :mad But if I'm wrong and it's something else, others may have an impending problem as well. . .

I found a bunch of water in the back of my vert. The deck kept popping open on it's own, so I pulled up the carpet and it was full of water. The wiring for the deck was completely submerged. I ended up drilling a couple small holes in the low spots to let it drain out. I also realized that the weatherstripping for the deck was totally missing. It looked to me like it was never installed at the factory since the deck was so clean.

I installed those drains on my 89 coupe and I do remember that there were two layers to drill thru to get it to drain into the wheelwell. One a couple inches below the other. Worked great.

Scott

just sent my cdm out...water damage:duh....your warning was a day late and a dollar short.....what else is new....this is great info, and everyone with the bose cdm behind the pass. seat should take note...:beer

just got my cdm back....all is well ...same day auto audio did a great job....very quick turnaround....would recomend to all

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom