Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

90 Vette's w/ ZR1 Back End???

I

ike_pa

Hi All

I am looking at a 90 Coupe that has the back end of a ZR1 with the squared tail lights. I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to C4's but I have never seen this.

Wondering if anyone can provide some feedback for me. Was it an option? Was it just on late production cars? How rare is it? If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it. It could be my first vette....

Thanks

It don't think it's OEM.

I've got an '87 ragtop with a ZR-1 rearend (square lights and all). If you peruse Corvette Central or Ecklers (websites or catalogue) you will see a couple of these that you can modify the early C-4's with. There's also skirts, scoops and wings. I'll probably be adding a wing next year.

Hope that helps ya!

Ike, better check out that frame. You gotta ask yourself, why would someone glass an 'add on' rear on a car ? Could be they just like the looks. Could also be: car was wrecked !!! caveat emptor

I not quite sure that is just the rear end. I believe The ZR-1 starts to widen from the door hinge back, not just the rear facia.

The wrecked idea has definately crossed my mind. I agree, the ZR1 does have an overall different look to it from the door back. All of that looks to be correct on both of the 1 coupe and 1 conv. like this.

The coupe was production # 12,??? out of 20,000+ and the conv. was 19,??? and has production date in late July. I could maybe see the conv. because it has such a late run in the model year but the coupe I am skeptical of. Car looks great in white too...damn.

Thought I may have been stumbling upon something pretty rare with this. Any other thoughts or facts on this feel free to add. Thanks for the help so far.

I believe the ZR1 is diff from the back of the door. I say this because somewhere along the line my drivers door was replaced and it has a ZR1 sticker on it .

Glenn
:w

In 1990 the ZR1 had the new style rear end and the old style front. For 1991 all C4's had the square taillight rear as well as the new front end.

The ZR1's were wider at the rear by about 3" and this widening began with the door.

Many of the vendors (MAM, Corvette Central, etc.) sell replacement parts to upgraded the early body style to the new style. Some owners replace both front and rear, some only the rear (I don't recall seeing any with the new front and the old rear).

Run a carfax to find out if the car had been in an accident. Or take it to a body shop you trust; he can tell if the car had been hit and repaired. Otherwise it's probably that the seller just wanted his car to look like a ZR1.

In 1990 the ZR1 had the new style rear end and the old style front. For 1991 all C4's had the square taillight rear as well as the new front end.

The ZR1's were wider at the rear by about 3" and this widening began with the door.

Many of the vendors (MAM, Corvette Central, etc.) sell replacement parts to upgraded the early body style to the new style. Some owners replace both front and rear, some only the rear (I don't recall seeing any with the new front and the old rear).

Run a carfax to find out if the car had been in an accident. Or take it to a body shop you trust; he can tell if the car had been hit and repaired. Otherwise it's probably that the seller just wanted his car to look like a ZR1.

What he said. BTW, there were no ZR1 convertibles except for a RUMORED test mule.

I think I read a couple of years ago that a test mule convertible was located in England. The problem was it was partially crushed but the person in posession of it was going to attempt to restore it. I haven't heard anything about it since. I still believe the widening started at the door hinge. The rocker panels are wider then stock when put side by side with a non ZR1.

Actually, there was a company that made a convertible for GM. Its on display at the museum in BG. There are aftermarket rears for the regular 90 coupes. the difference is in the license plate area. On a ZR-1 it is wider in that area. There are other differences as well, but that is an easy one to spot.

Jim

I think I read a couple of years ago that a test mule convertible was located in England. The problem was it was partially crushed but the person in posession of it was going to attempt to restore it. I haven't heard anything about it since. I still believe the widening started at the door hinge. The rocker panels are wider then stock when put side by side with a non ZR1.

That car is a yellow coupe, it has been found, and the owner resurrected/restored it beautifully. It was featured in one of the mags a year or so ago.

Hi All

I am looking at a 90 Coupe that has the back end of a ZR1 with the squared tail lights. I have a fair amount of knowledge when it comes to C4's but I have never seen this.

Wondering if anyone can provide some feedback for me. Was it an option? Was it just on late production cars? How rare is it? If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it. It could be my first vette....

Thanks
Only '90 ZR1s had the rounded tail with the squared lights. Then in '91 all Vettes got this new look. Look for your production codes, ZR1 emblems on the outside of the car, ect. If you can't find evidence of validated ZR1 production, it has had body mods. Look at mine. It is an '85 but has had the exterior modified to be indistingushible from a '94.

JimVette, you're absolutely right about the door panels.

They started there, as you've mentioned, and carried it through the rear and, has already been mentioned, resulted in a 3" wider rear than base.

The windshield also had a lighter, thinner laminate than base and is extremely expensive to purchase today, assuming you can find a U.S.-made replacement.

Two clues that I always look for when viewing a ZR1 from the front, is the top of the quarter just outboard of the halo. You can actually see the additional width there. Then, glance from there to the wheel centers of the rears, and you'll see the extra depth of the wheel lug holes. That will draw your eye to the hub center and the depth will be immediately evident.

From the rear, of course, look for the 1-1/2" gap on either side of the license plate. The base cars won't have that.

The windshield also had a lighter, thinner laminate than base and is extremely expensive to purchase today, assuming you can find a U.S.-made replacement.

Someone is asking me about that. Is it documented anywhere?

Someone is asking me about that. Is it documented anywhere?

Absolutely. You can start on both this forum and the other one by searching "zr1 windshield."

Also, give Chris May at Superior a call and ask him to quote price and availability.

You can also try Maxey Price Chev in the Atlanta area for a quote.

Or this...from Cor-VETTE specs, p154:
"The ZR-1 included a "solar" windshield made by Libby-Owens-Ford (LOF) with the trade name Koolof. The glass had special screening to reduce ultraviolet ray and heat intrusion, but the metallic screening interfered with a radar detector's ability to receive signals (or a garage door opener's to send). So engineers left a small portion of the glass unscreened as seen in this photo taken with a polarizing filter."

there are people who prefer to "pose" than actually buy the real thing. so they have something installed to fake unsuspecting onlookers, at a glance. those are the people who get satisfaction out of not having to pay to own the real thing. and some do it even cheaper & tackier by just putting a badge on. real corvette owners just shake their heads and walk away. you'll of course be able to easily tell, unless some very slick bodywork was done to account for the wider ZR1 rear fascia.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom