Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 91 starts to miss when at operating temp

CWR

Corvette
1990 Corvette
We have a 1991 Vette with approx. 6000 miles on it (yep- 6000) Its been babied, garage kept and is rarely driven. it is started and driven a few blocks every 6 months or so. Last it was driven, I noticed that it was missing a bit. As the engine got warmer, the missing became worse and eventually as it got to operating temp, the computer went into open loop and the engine began to cut out and stalled. I have checked the plugs, plug wires, battery, fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel pressure and everything else I can possibly think of!
Any suggestions or help would be GREATLY appreaciated! Thanks

Check the pick-up coil in the distributor. They have been known to cause the issues you are describing. VERY COMMON! Check the resistance with an ohmmeter. There shouldn't be much difference between cold and hot values. Google it or check a FSM for exact values.

You don't have to remove it from the distributor first either. Just unplug it from the ignition module AFTER disconnecting the main ground at the battery. Read the resistance cold, then warm the engine to operating temperature, when it starts missing, and repeat the procedure.

If there's more than a few ohms difference, replace the pick-up coil. They are NOT that expensive. About $30-40. Put a new module in while you are there. Clean all the connections too. Use A/C Delco or Standard Motor part brands.

Check your vacuum hoses too.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I agree Also run as much of the old gas out as you can then fill up with a top tier gas at least twice and let the engine clean itself.

Check the pick-up coil in the distributor. They have been known to cause the issues you are describing. VERY COMMON! Check the resistance with an ohmmeter. There shouldn't be much difference between cold and hot values. Google it or check a FSM for exact values.

You don't have to remove it from the distributor first either. Just unplug it from the ignition module AFTER disconnecting the main ground at the battery. Read the resistance cold, then warm the engine to operating temperature, when it starts missing, and repeat the procedure.

If there's more than a few ohms difference, replace the pick-up coil. They are NOT that expensive. About $30-40. Put a new module in while you are there. Clean all the connections too. Use A/C Delco or Standard Motor part brands.

Check your vacuum hoses too.

Good Luck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom